vents

Started by dave01, November 02, 2014, 04:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave01

Hi all,
I see many of the recipes call for 1/8 or 1/2 to full open vent. When I did my fan mod I took my vent completely out, was that a mistake? Will I need to replace it for doing sausage ?
Thanks

pensrock

My vent stays wide open all the time. It does not matter if I'm doing cheese, sausage or pork butt.  :)

ragweed

KyNola

You'll get lots of different answers about the vent question.

I removed the vent years ago.

iceman

Quote from: KyNola on November 02, 2014, 07:08:07 AM

What vent?  ;D

smoke em if you got em

I used to leave the vent fully open all the time. But then I bought a Con Yeager Trail Bologna kit and the instructions were different than anything I have ever tried. I followed the instructions exactly and I had good results. They were a little over smoked IMO at first and I hoped they would mellow out a little bit after sitting for a while, but they didn't.  So I cut the smoke time in half because the Bradley puts out a really intense smoke flavor.

Here is the way I smoke sausage now:

Stage       Time     Temp    smoke     damper
    1         1 hr.        140        off         open
    2         2 hrs.      140        on       1/8 open
    3         2 hrs.      160        off       1/8 open
    4    to IT of 156   180       off       closed

Then into an ice bath for about 15 minutes to get the IT down to 100.

Then hang to bloom for a couple of hours.

Here is a link with pictures. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35716.0

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

GusRobin

Quote from: KyNola on November 02, 2014, 07:08:07 AM

me too. Not sure I even know where it is.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

Add me to the list of Bradley owners going ventless.  No vent since 2012.

RedJada

WoodlawnSmoker

Well, count me amongst the few that uses the thing, LOL.  I like to close the vent 1/2 - 3/4 while I'm smoking sausage, my misguided theory is that it gives them a bit more smoke flavour and colour.  While drying and during final cook it's fully open.  For beef roasts I'll close it a bit while smoking too.

For foods with lots of moisture like chicken I leave it fully open.  It seems to be against the grain for most forum members but I like to close it a bit if I'm looking to retain moisture in the food.

Habanero Smoker

I wouldn't call it a mistake, but the vent can be useful especially in colder climates.

You can count me in also, as one that finds the vent settings very beneficial. When I had a single element, when most of the moisture was expelled; especially with chicken with skin, towards the end of the cook I would begin using a smaller vent opening, and would find the heat would increase. Even now, with my second element I will still use the vent. I find that my temperature controller works a lot better with the vent 1/2 - 3/4 open. As long a condensation does not form inside the cabinet, the steam already created by the heat will not cause your cabinet temperature to drop.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cajunboudreaux

No Vent here... Done been gone for years.
Laissez les bon temps rouler