Kielbasa

Started by Tenpoint5, November 12, 2014, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hybridcx

thanks for the reply, finished up our 20 pound batch last night, However I think I over loaded smoker as some rings did not take the smoke flavor as well as others.and some were well smoked on one side nothing on the other. ended up doing 50-50 venison to pork shoulder. taste test tonight.

Saber 4

Great looking Kielbasa Chris.

tskeeter

Quote from: hybridcx on November 18, 2014, 01:55:38 PM
thanks for the reply, finished up our 20 pound batch last night, However I think I over loaded smoker as some rings did not take the smoke flavor as well as others.and some were well smoked on one side nothing on the other. ended up doing 50-50 venison to pork shoulder. taste test tonight.

Hybridcx, while 20 pounds of sausage is a heavy load for a smoker, I'm not sure that the weight of the sausage, alone, caused the result you got.  The condition I think you found (light colored spots on the sausages) is caused by the sausages touching one another.  When the sausage is in contact, the smoke can't get between the sausages and you end up with light spots where no smoke accumulated on the surface of the sausage.  Can happen if you have so much meat in the smoker that they touch.  Or it could happen with just a few pieces of meat.  You might be able to put 20 pounds of sausage in your smoker without the sausages touching each other.  Or, you might have to reduce the size of each batch you smoke to avoid contact.

Mr Walleye

Another trick I use when hanging my sausage to eliminate the white areas where they touch is to use wooden tooth picks between any sausages that want to touch one another. You simply stab them into the two sausages that are touching and it will hold them apart during the process.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

seemore

MR Walleye that's for the tip good idea
Seemore