10 pounds of Andouille for future meals (With an example)

Started by Tenpoint5, November 04, 2014, 08:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Everything all mixed together

All stuffed into links and coils

Loaded into the smoker

After the smoke

Hanging to bloom

Money Shot

All packaged up for the freezer. All packages are right around 3/4's of a pound

One of the packages didn't seal quite right soooooo. Hearty White Bean and Sausage Soup it is!!

SOUPS ON!!!!!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

If you would like to make the soup. They used Conecuh sausage in the testing of the recipe. So any smoked sausage should work just fine.

http://www.louisianacookin.com/hearty-white-bean-sausage-soup/

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tailfeathers

Looks really good!! Gots me some andouille in the freezer, gonna have give this a try. Thanks Chris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pensrock

All I have been eating since the surgery is soups but none looked as good as that one. Nice!  :)

iceman

Dang Chris! That there is some good lookin vittles buddy!  :)

cobra6223

both look very good Chris!! I have a couple of questions.. first is the white stuff fat and do you keep the meats in bigger chunks or just the white stuff.  Thanks Chris
Tim

Tenpoint5

Tim,
Yes the white parts are fats. I trim the meat into 1 inch chunks, season for 3 days then grind through 10 mm plate and stuff

pensrock

My grandfather always told us to season the chunks and let sit before grinding. Like you did. He worked later in life at a local butchers shop so I guess he learned that there. It does make sense because when it does get ground the spices get mixed in better. So that is how we always did it. He also loved the course grind like is common with andouille but us kids did not care for the bigger chunks of fat. So when the kids made the sausage we would grind the lean meats course and the fatty meat fine. I still do that with Kielbasa but when doing my venison smoked sausage I grind it all smaller.

april.scutt

I have a Bradley smoker. I'm making Summer Sausage. The recipe I have does not tell me how long to smoke the sausage. Anyone know how long for 25lbs ?

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: april.scutt on November 08, 2014, 04:10:38 PM
I have a Bradley smoker. I'm making Summer Sausage. The recipe I have does not tell me how long to smoke the sausage. Anyone know how long for 25lbs ?

Hi and welcome.  Try to search for summer sausage on this site, there will be smoking and cooking suggestions.  Good luck.

That soup looks fabulous, I'll have to try that recipe.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: april.scutt on November 08, 2014, 04:10:38 PM

it is going to take a while in the Bradley.  I would break it into 2 batches of 12 pounds and smoke as follows
1 hour @ 130
1 hour @ 140 Start 2:40 minutes of smoke
1 hour @ 150
1 hour @ 160
170 until IT of 153 is reached
Then plunge into ice water until IT of 100 then hang at room temp for 2 hours then fridge overnight

cajunboudreaux

Laissez les bon temps rouler