Red Beans and Rice

Started by Tenpoint5, November 12, 2014, 10:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I have been asked what I do with the sausages that I make, like Andouille (An do ee). Well one of the things I make is Red Beans and Rice from scratch.

I don't plan far enough ahead to soak my beans overnight. So I boil them for an hour.

I saute my onions, green peppers and celery

I cut up my Ham and my Andouille

Mix it all together and cover with water

After heating to a boil. I let it simmer for 2-3 hours. I start to see the creamy color after about 1:45 minutes. This batch simmered for 2:30 minutes was rushed to get ready for work.

Then you make you some long grain rice and add a scoop in a bowl and put the Red Beans on to make Red Bean and Rice. Sprinkle some parsley on top to make it look purty!

Recipe can be found here: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OldHickory

Looks delicious Chris.  I have to buy the Andouille, but I do make the red beans and rice from scratch.  I would love a bowl right now on this cool November night.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

iceman

That's one of my go to comfort foods Chris. Great job. Now I'm hungry again!  ;D

tailfeathers

Made up a pot this weekend as well, our son is in town from CO and requested RB&R as its one of his favorite foods. The recipe I use is nearly identical except I cheat and use Bush's red beans out of a can. I also make it with andouille but use smoked sausage rather than ham. Only other difference is a tsp of sugar and a couple bay leaves as it simmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Quote from: tailfeathers on November 14, 2014, 08:43:08 AM
Made up a pot this weekend as well, our son is in town from CO and requested RB&R as its one of his favorite foods. The recipe I use is nearly identical except I cheat and use Bush's red beans out of a can. I also make it with andouille but use smoked sausage rather than ham. Only other difference is a tsp of sugar and a couple bay leaves as it simmers.

Tailfeathers, I like your shortcut approach to RB&R and am interested in trying it.  Do you drain your beans, or do you use the liquid from the can?

tailfeathers

Use the liquid for sure. As the onions celery and peppers break down the liquid from the beans becomes gravy.
Two cans bush's red beans
Two large onions chopped
One large green pepper chopped
3-4 celery ribs chopped
2-3 garlic cloves chopped fine
1 tsp sugar
2 bay leaves
1 link each smoked sausage and andouille.
Cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to taste.
Combine all in a pot, bring to a slow boil, reduce to simmer until veggies begin to break down. Add 1/4 cup chopped parsley and serve over rice.

tailfeathers

If you like them some crawdad tails are a nice addition as well. You can find them all peeled and ready to go in the frozen seafood section at Walmart (at least here anyway) I don't generally add any 'cuz SWMBO won't eat them.

tailfeathers

Can't figure her out. Loves shrimp, loves lobster but won't eat crawdads. WTF?