What am I doing wrong

Started by Chris P Crunch, November 02, 2014, 12:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P Crunch

I have a new smoker, brought it home set it up and have tried numerous times to get it to smoke, nothing...went back to the store got another one....same thing, can't get it to burn the pucks....I wait 20 minutes for it to heat up, tried over and over again....nothing....the only thing I can think of is the breaker that I have it plugged into is only a 15 watt....would that have something to do with it??  Do I need to put it on a 30 watt breaker??  Hope you can help, I am really excited to start smoking but this has been very frustrating....thanks!!

Chris

Chris P Crunch

sorry I meant amps, not watts....

WoodlawnSmoker

Hi Chris, welcome aboard.  There will some experts along shortly that can help you diagnose but I can start you off with the simple stuff.  A 15 amp breaker should be fine, are you using an extension cord by any chance?

It sounds basic but I had a similar trouble when I first got mine.  Disconnect all the plugs on the back of the unit and reinsert them using a little force.  It seems like they are seated properly but sometimes the new plugs are a bit stiff and are not inserted all the way.  Try that first and report back so others can take you through the steps.

RedJada

Chris, I know your frustrated but let's slow down and figure out what's going on.

First, how and where are you plugging the smoker in? Is it in a dedicated outlet? GFI? extinction cord?
You also mention you only waited 20 minutes to heat up? Give it at least an hour. You also mentioned your pucks wernt cooking. How about the main element inside, is it glowing red/orange? You also mention breakers, are you tripping the breakers? If so, there is too much load on where you have the smoker plugged into. Find a different outlet, don't change the breaker. While you figure all this out, just let her heat up for awhile and post back. Smoking is not BBQing or baking, it's a low heat long posses that you will love....

RedJada

A+ on what WoodlawnSmoker said. I forgot to mention that. Unplug and replug tightly.

beefmann

Chris,
welcome aboard, along  with above lets check a  few  things.

1) make sure all plugs on the  smoker / tower are seated firmly.
2) turn unit on and make sure the main element is glowing a reddish orange.
3) check the puck burner to see it it is getting  hot,, place your  hand over it... NOT  ON IT !! to see if you  feel the heat coming off of it.
4)if you  can  check the voltage at the  receptacle you  have the  smoker pluged into it  should be around  115 -  120 volts

if lower then you  have a  low  voltage problem and the heater on the puck burner  will not  get  hot enough along  with the  main burner,

then move the  unit to another  location or  circuit and go from there

RAF128

Strange that 2 different units would do the same thing.  Check to make sure all the cables are plugged into the right places.

Chris P Crunch

thank you so much for the responses....I will try everything suggested...maybe I am not leaving it on long enough...thanks again all!!

Chris

renoman

The puck burner should get more than hot enough in 20 minutes. Plug a lamp or something into the outlet you are using to make sure there is power there. If it is an outside receptacle it will be protected by a GFI breaker at the panel or a GFI receptacle built into the plug or perhaps even ganged with another GFI receptacle elsewhere on the exterior of your house So check that the GFI is not tripped somewhere.