grey green spots on bacon

Started by Tiffin, November 02, 2014, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffin

So im making some buckboard bacon with the high mountain kit. dry cured for 10 days as per isntructions.
Took the meat out today to smoke it and there is a couple spots that are grey/greenish. absolutely no smell though. Im sure ive read in places that this is normal from the curing process. But id rather refer to my experts on here.

Thanks, Tiffin
BDS4 unmodified

rexster

I think you had too much cure on those spots
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Tiffin

So I would assume it is still safe to eat then?
BDS4 unmodified

Habanero Smoker

Having green/greyish spots on the pork is not part of the normal curing process. There should be an external color change (generally not green/greyish), but it should be fairly uniform across the meat. If it is an iridescent sheen, that will be common.

As mentioned, one cause could be the application of too much sodium nitrite in those spots causing nitrate (nitrite) burn, but with a commercial cure mixture it is difficult to get large concentration of sodium nitrite in a few spots. That generally occurs if you are using pure sodium nitrite, or salt peter and making you own cure mixture, that are not blended properly. Another cause could be oxidation. The exposure to too much light and oxygen, can cause this discoloration. Another cause could be you cured at too low of a temperature, and the curing process was not completed. But curing for 10 days, it is not likely that is a cause. A forth reason can be spoilage. I have had some pork go bad while curing. It was somewhat slimy at the areas of the discoloration, and had a slight odor, so I threw it out. Just note that smell is not always a sign to indicate if the meat is spoiled or not.

I can't give you a definitive answer to whether the meat is good or not.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Tiffin, if you still have the meat could you post a photo of it so the spots in question can be seen?  Could help some of the experts to give you a better idea of what may have occurred.

Tiffin

Unfortunately I cannot. The meat has already been smoked as I had other things to smoke that day as well. It has not been consumed yet though.
BDS4 unmodified