Smoking Temps?

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, November 18, 2014, 03:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I've been smoking for 6 or 7 years now and I've always done butts, chicken, ribs and brisket on my gas, electric and stick burners @ 220F cabinet temp. I have been researching pellet smokers for a little bit now (want to add a 5th smoker to my collection) and it seems like the pelletheads are smoking at 180F for a few hours and then running the temps up to 350F to finish. Am I missing something here? 
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

KyNola

You're not missing anything.  It's just a procedure some folks use.  Personally, I don't and am on my third pellet smoker.  I set it at 225 or so and forget it.  For me, that's why they call it "low and slow". To each his own.

BTW, do your homework and get a good pellet smoker.  You will really like it.  Seems like a lot of manufacturers are jumping on the pellet bandwagon.  Some of them are junk.  Over on another Forum a group is raving about a particular brand of pellet smoker although only one of them has actually seen one, let alone cooked on it.  I've seen the particular unit they are raving about and it is cheap made from flimsy materials.  Do your homework on pellets too.  Same thing applies.  There are some great pellets out there and there are some that are not so good.

Hope this helps.   

Bigbirdoffroad

Thanks for the input KyNola. I'm leaning towards a REC TEC. Seems to be a solid unit.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

Pic-N-Stick

Yea, I've been looking at them, too.  I'm leaning toward the Rec Tec myself.

pensrock

I think the ones who start at 180 do it because the pellet grill will put out more smoke at lower temps. Then bump it to 220-225 to finish. I'm with the others... I do not do this with a big piece of meat like brisket but have done it with steaks where I cook at a low temp to get the smoke the heat the grill to 400 or so and then finish them off. With briskets and butts I do put a small pellet smoker in for a few hours of extra smoke, works great.

Smoking Jim

Hi all it has been a while since i posted i am on my third pellet grill which is a bob grillson premium 2014,and it is the best that i have used, always  225f  for low & slow on all three over the years.this unit is so well made and insulated it is extremely economical. but if you want to get down to real smoking nothing beats my 6 rack bradly BDS.
Cheers Jim.