Free Car

Started by Pistol Pete, November 14, 2014, 02:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

I have read 8 gazillion (lots- Canadian) posts in this forum and others about how long smoking is effective.  "After X hours the meat stops absorbing the smoke"  "The meat stops absorbing the smoke after it reaches X degrees".  Now,if I was Joe Bradley I would say..you got a 14 pound brisket smoke it the whole 21 hours  (Hmmmm 21 hours times 3 bisquettes an hour times 40 cents a bisquette).  But in real life, there is no Joe Bradley.  I got "Members Extroidinaire".  I got Senior members". I got Heroes.  I got" Grand Pooh Pahs"  Now is your time to shape the future  (Although at my age.. the future is now).  I am getting a couple Pork Shoulders  (also called Boston Butt...which epitomizes what is wrong with America today....ITS FROM NOWHERE NEAR THE BUTT!).  At Sam's a pair of shoulders run between 13 and 20 pounds.   I will cook till about 190-195°F Internal (Ouch that's hot- Canadian)   So, how long should I smoke, smarty pants?  And what's your flavor(s).   Put it out there for all to see.

Oh, the free car?  This might be the Bradley Forum...but its still the Internet

GusRobin

I use hickory. I smoke for 4 hours.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tiffin

i have a fraction of a fraction of the knowledge as the senior members here but I've always gone 4 hours smoke on butts. As far as smoke flavors or rubs everyone can tell you their opinion but it all comes down to what you try and what you like best for yourself and family. My favorite wood is oak now, but I've also used special blend or hickory on butts. As far as rubs go many people say Jans rub is good, which can be found on the recipe site. Once again I experimented with countless different rubs till I found the one I currently like best which consists of hot paprika, chilli powder, salt, brown sugar and other random spices.
Moral of the story, the big battle with smoking is finding what suits your taste. If you have multiple butts id probably even do 2 different rubs at once and see what you like best. 
Happy smoking.
BDS4 unmodified

pensrock

QuoteI use hickory. I smoke for 4 hours.
X2

tailfeathers

Usually hickory here as well, occasionally oak. Four hours of smoke is plenty for me. Unlike some I like to smoke pulled pork at 205F, and it will usually pass the fork test by the time it hits 180 internal temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KyNola

There is a theory among the smoker world that once meat hits 140 then it will no longer absorb smoke because once the surface of the meat "heals over" the smoke simply can't penetrate the meat any longer.  Earlier this year I judged a whole hog competition and one of the teams I judged had a hog cooker that was fueled by wood and gas.  I know this guy and he knows what he is doing.  I asked how long he smoked the hog and he smiled and said "until the surface heals over.  After that you're just roasting a hog so I shut down the smoker and finish it with the gas oven".  He reinforced exactly what I had read and been taught.

For my taste 4 hours of hickory on a Bradley is plenty of smoke.  After that you're just slow cooking.

As for the designations they are just post count levels.  Doesn't make anyone any better than anyone else when it comes to experience and knowledge.

Habanero Smoker

I've learned that the 140°F surface temperature is pretty accurate as to when smoke can no longer penetrate. Even though the smoke particles can no longer penetrate, they will continue to adhere on the surface and build up, as long as the surface has some moisture. Applying the smoke too long is when you can over smoke your food. A lot of BBQ competitors will start wrapping their meats to control the amount of smoke flavor. Especially if they are using wood as a fuel and continue to cook low & slow. With the Bradley you just stop applying smoke, no wrapping is necessary, and you continue to cook low & slow.  As most, I only apply 4 hours to a butt, some members apply 5 or 6 hours, for a stronger smoke flavor. Though I stop at 4 hours, because that is the amount of smoke flavor I like, something like a butt that has a higher mass to surface ratio should be able to  take 5 or 6 hours and not be overly smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rider14

I smoke my shoulders until an internal temp of 160F and I usually wrap (or put in a pan and foil over the top tight) with a little apple juice or beer inside the foil. I don't wrap it to keep out smoke, I wrap it to make it tender. IT's like braising the meat while it's wrapped.

I do that for brisket too, and it makes a world of difference. Too long a smoke without the wrap ends up drying out the meat, although I've never been patient enough to put on a mop every hour... I like to keep that door closed.

-Dan