Starter culture for Landjager

Started by cjj, November 20, 2014, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjj

I want to make some Landjagers , What starter culture should I use? I made a curing chamber , so I am good to go with that .  I tried the pre mixed stuff from the sausage maker  and was not to happy with it,  it had no taste . so I am going to try Len Poli recipe but it does not say what kind of starter culture to use .

thanks

Habanero Smoker

Any starter culture can be used, it depends on your taste. The sausage book I have recommends T-SPX culture; used at a rate of .12g (.04oz.) per 1 Kilogram (2.2lbs.) of meat/fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cjj

Habanero Smoker

I was able to locate that recipe on-line. It gives both the fully and semi-dry instructions.

Landjager

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cjj

I found that one line but I don,t understand how much dextrose to use to make a semi dry

Habanero Smoker

Looking at the recipe the instructions for semi-dried are vague and assumes the user already knows how to make semi-dried sausage. Semi-dried sausage is fully cooked then partially air dried. If you make the semi-dried version, I would use cure #1 and follow the smoking/cooking instructions they give for their Summer Sausage which is a semi-dried sausage.
Summer Sausage

The 1% dextrose means you add the amount of dextrose (by weight) that is equal to 1% of the total weight of meat and fat. So if you are making 5 pounds of sausage, that would be 80 ounces (meat & fat) x .01 (1%) = .8 ounces (23 grams) of dextrose.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Divey

I know that this subject is a little old, however, I thought I would open it again as I want to make some Landjaeger.

I have a local Butcher Supply company that is owned by a German chap and he told me that he had a culture for Landjaeger. I purchased some of his cure today and I'm keen to get started. I did buy some T-SPX last September and it has been in my freezer, however, I think it may be touch and go with that time frame. I rushed into last time long before I had the ability to cold smoke which I have now have with the Bradley. A new knee replacement had something to do with the time frame spreading out too far. :)

This is the product that I have been sold.......

Here is a link concerning this product......

http://www.trademarkia.com/ctm/optistart-475510_en-US.htm

I'm hoping that someone here know a little about this product.

mustangmoe

Opti Start
Starter culture for accelerated ripening of sliceable raw sausage.

Absolute product safety due to the fast pH-value reduction.

Colour development after 24 hours & stable colour guarantee.

Provides a typical raw sausage/salami flavour.
You achieve perfect results in only 7 days!
Simply add at the beginning of the meat chopping process & add nitrite curing salt as usual.
If I was to compare it to one of the CHR Hansen cultures I would say it is close to Bactoferm LHP Dry (Pediococcus acidilactici & Pediococcus pentosaceus). The big difference I see is Optistart takes 7 days and LHP dry takes only 2 days to get to the same PH drop. Neither one will give you a strong sour taste.

What was the cost of that culture?

Divey

Quote from: mustangmoe on April 01, 2015, 06:06:36 AM

<snip>

What was the cost of that culture?

Thank you for your post mustangmoe.  :)

The cost of the culture was $9.00 AUD, which is half the price of the T-SPX. The best part of using this is that the supplier is less than five minutes from my home, and, the T-SPX has to be flown from another State in Australia at a cost which exceeds the cost of the culture.

The culture came with a brochure, so, I'll post some more information from that brochure later on today.

Divey

As stated on the brochure.....

QuoteFor Industrial Production: Our recommendation for raw sausage, diameter 60mm: Leave hanging for approximately 4 hours (until condensed water has gone) at room temperature in the production room (outside the climate chamber).
Afterwards place in the climate chamber.

1st Day: 20 - 24°C
90 - 94% relative humidity.

2nd Day: 20 - 22°C
90 - 92% relative humidity.

3rd Day: 18 - 20°C
88 - 90% relative humidity.
add a small quantity of cold smoke (20°C) for 15 - 30 minutes.

4th Day: 18 - 20°C
85 - 88% relative humidity.
add a small quantity of cold smoke (20°C) for 15 - 30 minutes.

5th Day: 18°C
83 - 85 relative humidity.

6th Day: 18°C
80 - 83% relative humidity and cold smoke (20°C) as desired.

7th Day: 15 - 16°C
75% relative humidity, store without ventilation.

How is a person going to do THAT at home???

cobra6223

is that where the guys use the bread proofers to get the humidity? Good luck !! ;D