Wedding Decisions

Started by West Coast Kansan, July 29, 2006, 05:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

My son's wedding is coming up the end of Sept. It will be an informal affair on the beach here in SD county.  He and the bride plus most of bride's family are from Kansas City. We will host a gathering here at our home after the trip to the beach is done.  I am planning to do the usual KC stuff, pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken etc. because much of it can be done in advance with no hassle to warm and serve.  I have been looking at the various food links for ideas that would be unique but thought I would ask...

What are some favorite ideas anyone may have. The theme is Kansas on the beach (so the smoker is in!) Looking for some seafood ideas and / or new methods etc. that could be a new and different treat as people are grazing around the tables.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

WKC,

That is a good question. Sounds like the Kansas part is covered. When I think of California, I think of seafood (especially scallops), wine, and microbrews. I like bacon-wrapped scallops, but have never smoked them (which may or may not be required for your event), and grilled seafoods. For me, some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Cakebread whites, and BV reds together with all you are smoking would put me in heaven.

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

AnS
KarenCooks (I think) posted a great looking recipe for smoked scallops. I need to look it up again. I am going to give them a try along with some vegs. - smoked onions and various peppers are good stuff. My wife says give it a break so will load up a fruit and juice buffet

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

asa

If you're hosting any hangovers for breakfast the next morning, I suggest you do some Canadian bacon and cottage bacon. That's what I'm planning for a family wedding morning-after-brunch in September.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

West Coast Kansan

asa, good thinking, I think once the kids have hung out for an appropriate time (which if it were me = not very long)they will be leaving. The KS crowd will be spending time at the tourist traps in the area. Soooo I will be free and likely a little hung over myself. A good day to rest. I have been tracking the canadian bacon thread and want to give it a try soon.

West Coast Kansan

AP, Yep this is the son with arthur as a middle name. Still have 3 bottles of sauce in the cupboard.  Shipping not that bad- $15US for a case ordered off the webpage. There is a new location now. It is by the Speedway on the KS side. New place is good but just not the same as the origional - way too clean and no dog in the corner to collect what falls. I think the new place even change out the mops they slather the sauce with (I dont know but i suppose it would take a year or two to break in a new sauce mop... i guess nothing lasts forever!  ;D

tsquared

I would go with your saying at the bottom of your post and smoke a bunch of oysters. Course, that might be a bit too weird for the Kansas folk.
T2