This year's Turkeys

Started by Saber 4, November 23, 2014, 08:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Finally found the low 3% basted turkey's I've been looking for to brine/cure for a couple of Thanksgiving events, they were only .99/lb so I picked up a couple of extras for the freezer so I can have turkey whenever I want it next year.

I have 2 of them in Smokehouse Rob's apple juice based brine with cure 1 as I type, in an hour they come out of their 14 hour bath for 8-12 hours of drying then into the smoker tomorrow.

Tenpoint5

That many birds thought you might be coming up with a turkey sausage
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

It would be cheaper than buying ground turkey for sure.

OldHickory

@ $0.99, that is a awesome price.  SCORE
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

seemore

That's allot of birds and a great price
Seemore

Saber 4

Here's the first two finished up, I'll carve them up and vac seal them tomorrow when they've chilled in the fridge overnight.

I'll do another one for my Brother in Law's New Year's Eve gathering and hold on to the rest until needed.

seemore

looking good what did you cook them in ? SRG
Seemore

Saber 4

Quote from: seemore on November 25, 2014, 04:33:28 PM
looking good what did you cook them in ? SRG
Seemore

3 hours of pecan in the Bradley, moved to the SRG to finish when they got to 130 IT, They turned out real good. I got them sliced up and vac sealed for the trip to San Antonio tomorrow.

rwip

Walmart's turkeys are .89 per lb

WoodlawnSmoker

Great looking birds!  I can't believe the price you guys are paying, it's three times that price here.

seemore

Thanks Robert have a good turkey day
Scott

Lhicks2

Hey new guy here, sorry to change subject but new at this forum stuff. Question though, can you flavor soak the biscuits for the electric auto feeders.

Saber 4

Quote from: Lhicks2 on November 26, 2014, 09:50:12 PM
Hey new guy here, sorry to change subject but new at this forum stuff. Question though, can you flavor soak the biscuits for the electric auto feeders.

I wouldn't suggest it, they would probably crumble apart and you can buy just about any type of wood you want to flavor with.

iceman

Quote from: Lhicks2 on November 26, 2014, 09:50:12 PM

Biscuits don't like moister at all. Even in very humid weather they will swell up and crumble. Keep them in dry environment.
Like Saber said, you can get them in just about any flavor you like.  ;)