Need a grinder

Started by Grouperman941, November 24, 2014, 01:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 25, 2014, 11:31:59 AM
Quote from: tskeeter on November 25, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM
Gman,
I have Cabela's 1HP with #22 and it grinds so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to get warm. It looks similar (kinda)to the LEM grinder and the  Weston @ webstaurant. What I really like is LEM's  "Big Bite" auger, which they came out with sometime after I bought the Cabela's grinder. I even called LEM to see if their auger would retrofit to mine. Sadly, no. If I have a beef  ::) with mine, it's the auger. The wide spacing of the LEM auger fins directly under the feed tube lets larger pieces of meat fall directly into the auger, and then tapers to a finer pitch towards the plate. With mine, the larger pieces tend to ride on top of the auger so I have to use a pusher to get the meat pulled in. You might also check out the LEM grinders  while doing your research. I haven't heard any complaints about them. Have fun.

My Cabella's grinder must be a bit newer than Salmonsmoker's.  It has the "Big Bite" style screw in it.

I wonder if a person could get a "Big Bite" style auger and auger housing as replacement parts from Cabella's.  Or if Cabella's has changed suppliers and the new parts wouldn't fit an older grinder.
I did not know that skeeter, thanks! It just might be available. I don't think they've changed suppliers, the current units look the same.

Salmonsmoker, after looking at the link Grouperman posted to the Lem Big Bite auger retrofit kit (first time I've seen a picture, instead of a basic drawing), I'm not so convinced that my Cabella's grinder has a Big Bite style auger.  My auger looks more like the competitor's auger than the Big Bite.  There is a wider gap at the throat of the feeder and the flight spacing does get tighter as you move toward the grinding plate.  But the flight spacing at the throat is nowhere near as wide as the photo of the Big Bite auger shows.

dave01

I bought a Northern Tool grinder that is all metal and looks like it should work. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but thought I'd throw it out there as another option

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: tskeeter on November 25, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM
Gman,
I have Cabela's 1HP with #22 and it grinds so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to get warm. It looks similar (kinda)to the LEM grinder and the  Weston @ webstaurant. What I really like is LEM's  "Big Bite" auger, which they came out with sometime after I bought the Cabela's grinder. I even called LEM to see if their auger would retrofit to mine. Sadly, no. If I have a beef  ::) with mine, it's the auger. The wide spacing of the LEM auger fins directly under the feed tube lets larger pieces of meat fall directly into the auger, and then tapers to a finer pitch towards the plate. With mine, the larger pieces tend to ride on top of the auger so I have to use a pusher to get the meat pulled in. You might also check out the LEM grinders  while doing your research. I haven't heard any complaints about them. Have fun.

My Cabella's grinder must be a bit newer than Salmonsmoker's.  It has the "Big Bite" style screw in it.

I wonder if a person could get a "Big Bite" style auger and auger housing as replacement parts from Cabella's.  Or if Cabella's has changed suppliers and the new parts wouldn't fit an older grinder.

tskeeter and others that might be interested, I called Cabela's tech and did some research with the techie guy. Info I have so far.... the grinder is made by(or for)Weston. Cabela's has not changed suppliers. They have a newer models than when mine was manufactured, but I don't know at this point if anything has changed except for the auger. All external parts look the same except in the parts manual, the "big bite" type auger is listed as "new design". Mr. tech guy could not find a cross-reference on the auger part number to see if it's the new standard replacement part. I have sent an email to Weston tech support for an answer. A phone call would probably nave been a lot quicker and I would have the info by now. Generally, track records for return emails from tech support are not so good. I will re-post when I get the info. This relacement would fix the one "sore spot" with this grinder.
And now, it's time to get the turkey in the drum smoker.     HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! 
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.