Need a grinder

Started by Grouperman941, November 24, 2014, 01:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I am ready to take the plunge into sausage making, and I have determined my little meat grinder is inadequate. I am going to get a new one for Christmas, and I am hoping for guidance.

I like this one:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-mg12-12-1-hp-meat-grinder-110v/177MG12.html

Anyone have it?

If not that one, maybe one of the Cabela's models?

I just want something that is strong and sharp enough to not bind up too frequently.

Help appreciated!
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

tskeeter

I've got the Cabella's six pound per minute model.  I think it's a #8.  Plenty big for moderate home use.  More than enough for a two person sausage making session.  My practice is to chill the meat well, about 35F.  Cut the meat into strips about one inch by one inch.  These will go through the medium die about as fast as you can feed the meat.  The "compressing" flights on the screw pulls the strips of meat in well.   Can run about 15 pounds of meat through the first grind in about 10 minutes.  The second grind takes a bit longer because the ground meat doesn't "self feed" like the strips used in the first grind will.  Even so, running about 15 pounds of meat through the second grind takes about 15 minutes or so.

The Cabella's grinder is a monster.  Weighs in at about 40 pounds and comes in a box about 30 inches long, 20 inches across, and 10 inches deep.

If I was doing it over, I might consider a more compact model that doesn't take up as much storage space and isn't quite as heavy to move around.  Even if it ground meat a bit slower.  On the other hand. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to use the one I have hard enough to wear it out.

Grouperman941

Saber 4

I've got a mid grade Cabela's and it works great, both of the ones you listed look pretty good as well. Whichever one you pick I would suggest you get a foot controller, it will make your life much easier.

renoman

Don't buy this

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45562/cabelas-heavy-duty-grinder

I have one and it is way to small a motor to do any sort of serious grinding. I am waiting for it to burn up to replace it with something bigger. It really labours on partially frozen pieces of meat

Grouperman941

Quote from: renoman on November 25, 2014, 06:47:10 AM
Don't buy this

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45562/cabelas-heavy-duty-grinder

I have one and it is way to small a motor to do any sort of serious grinding. I am waiting for it to burn up to replace it with something bigger. It really labours on partially frozen pieces of meat

Thanks for this. That has some really good reviews and the price is right.

*crosses it off list

smoke em if you got em

My 2 cents. You should take a look at the LEM "big bite" grinders. http://www.lemproducts.com/bigbitegrinder
I have one and It works great. Lem has been around a long time and stands behind their products. They offer a lot of attachments for their grinders as well as different size grinding plates. I have several different sized grinding plates for mine. I buy a knife to go with each plate and use them as a matched set. They wear evenly that way and will have a longer life.
Hope that helps.

Mike
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Grouperman941

Quote from: smoke em if you got em on November 25, 2014, 09:06:52 AM
My 2 cents. You should take a look at the LEM "big bite" grinders. http://www.lemproducts.com/bigbitegrinder
I have one and It works great. Lem has been around a long time and stands behind their products. They offer a lot of attachments for their grinders as well as different size grinding plates. I have several different sized grinding plates for mine. I buy a knife to go with each plate and use them as a matched set. They wear evenly that way and will have a longer life.
Hope that helps.

Mike

Thanks -- do you have the #8 or #12?

Salmonsmoker

Gman,
I have Cabela's 1HP with #22 and it grinds so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to get warm. It looks similar (kinda)to the LEM grinder and the  Weston @ webstaurant. What I really like is LEM's  "Big Bite" auger, which they came out with sometime after I bought the Cabela's grinder. I even called LEM to see if their auger would retrofit to mine. Sadly, no. If I have a beef  ::) with mine, it's the auger. The wide spacing of the LEM auger fins directly under the feed tube lets larger pieces of meat fall directly into the auger, and then tapers to a finer pitch towards the plate. With mine, the larger pieces tend to ride on top of the auger so I have to use a pusher to get the meat pulled in. You might also check out the LEM grinders  while doing your research. I haven't heard any complaints about them. Have fun.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Salmonsmoker

Ha! Looks like smoke-em posted while I was typing. Between the two of us you got $.04 worth.

tskeeter

Quote from: Grouperman941 on November 24, 2014, 06:41:03 PM
Thanks for the info, tskeeter.

Is this the Weston that is similar to the Cabela's?: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/weston-08-0801-w-8-meat-grinder-with-2-plates-and-3-funnels/943080801W.html

Yup, the cover on mine looks more like the Weston model.

tskeeter

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM
Gman,
I have Cabela's 1HP with #22 and it grinds so fast that it doesn't even have a chance to get warm. It looks similar (kinda)to the LEM grinder and the  Weston @ webstaurant. What I really like is LEM's  "Big Bite" auger, which they came out with sometime after I bought the Cabela's grinder. I even called LEM to see if their auger would retrofit to mine. Sadly, no. If I have a beef  ::) with mine, it's the auger. The wide spacing of the LEM auger fins directly under the feed tube lets larger pieces of meat fall directly into the auger, and then tapers to a finer pitch towards the plate. With mine, the larger pieces tend to ride on top of the auger so I have to use a pusher to get the meat pulled in. You might also check out the LEM grinders  while doing your research. I haven't heard any complaints about them. Have fun.

My Cabella's grinder must be a bit newer than Salmonsmoker's.  It has the "Big Bite" style screw in it.

I wonder if a person could get a "Big Bite" style auger and auger housing as replacement parts from Cabella's.  Or if Cabella's has changed suppliers and the new parts wouldn't fit an older grinder.

smoke em if you got em

Quote from: Grouperman941 on November 25, 2014, 09:16:40 AM
Quote from: smoke em if you got em on November 25, 2014, 09:06:52 AM
Hope that helps.

Mike

Thanks -- do you have the #8 or #12?

I have the #5 but sometimes I wish I had the #8 for the bigger throat size.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Grouperman941

Quote from: tskeeter on November 25, 2014, 10:08:58 AM

My Cabella's grinder must be a bit newer than Salmonsmoker's.  It has the "Big Bite" style screw in it.

I wonder if a person could get a "Big Bite" style auger and auger housing as replacement parts from Cabella's.  Or if Cabella's has changed suppliers and the new parts wouldn't fit an older grinder.

Check this out: http://www.lemproducts.com/product/part-conversion-kit-8-grinder/8-big-bite-grinder-parts

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: tskeeter on November 25, 2014, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on November 25, 2014, 09:19:10 AM
Gman,

I did not know that skeeter, thanks! It just might be available. I don't think they've changed suppliers, the current units look the same.