Cold climate

Started by JackAttack, November 25, 2014, 10:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackAttack

Hi guys, I have my smoker set up in my unheated shop, vented outside. I was wondering if by just adding the heated bricks and hot water in the bowl I would be able to get my smoker up to temp and keep it up? Can anybody from the colder climates help me out. As I type this it is -13 C with a windchill of -20. Thanks

manfromplaid

just southwest of Edmonton   I have my smoker outside in a small plastic shed. when I use it during cold weather like you get in the battlefords  I will sometime put a small space heater in so my hands don't freeze. but it gets to temp and holds  so you should be ok to work in an unheated shop. good luck and have fun

JackAttack

Thankyou manfromplaid. It gets chilly in the shop, but if you're set up outside, I should be good to go. Thanks again!

Habanero Smoker

Having it indoors, even though unheated will help a lot, and the environment will not be effected by the wind. The brick(s) used as a heat sink will help the smoker recover after you open the door and load the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

WoodlawnSmoker

You'll be just fine.  I smoked all last winter in my garage, no problem, even in - 20 C.  For sure, it takes longer to get to temperature and falls sometimes, but it gets there.  Give yourself lots of time and you won't be frustrated.

renoman

Wind is the enemy. Much more so than cold temps.

dman4505

Quote from: renoman on November 27, 2014, 06:33:46 AM
Wind is the enemy. Much more so than cold temps.

x2
here in Iowa I have mine in an unheated garage (keep overhead door and entry door open a smidge during use) and have no issues

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Salmonsmoker

Some on this forum have made heat blankets for their towers as a buffer against wind and cold. You should be able to do a search in this forum and find a few postings.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

JackAttack

Thanks everyone. I did my first attempt at bacon the other day using Viper125 "bacon for dummies" recipe. Turned out excellent! Sorry, didn't take pics. Hubby was impressed. Thanks for all your help