Digital Smoker Control Unit--Will it work on the OBS?

Started by sdcaller, November 26, 2014, 07:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdcaller

A friend of mine had a digital 4 rack and then had a fire in it which destroyed the box.

The control unit seems to be OK and he has said I can have it if I want.

Question, will it work on my OBS which is 3 years old?

Thanks
SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

tskeeter

I think the answer is maybe.  If you rewired your OBS to function like a digital.  But I'm wondering if it would be worth the work.  About the only thing I think you'd get out of the digital smoke generator is the ability to set a specific temperature.

If you're curious what rewiring might be involved, take a look at some of the threads on the dual element and 900 watt element mods.  I seem to recall that some threads show pictures of the wiring in digital smokers.

Basically, I think you'd have to install the digital temp sensor, cabinet jack assembly, and connector cord.  Install the digital temp limiter assembly (part of the red power supply wire).  And bypass the temp controller in your OBS.  Then you should have a DOBS.

Toker

The best you could do to save money is take it and buy the bypass plug. This way you could have your black smoke gen for hot smoke and this one for cold smoking. Just take it if it's free to use as a spare. This thing Worth about 150$ so, if you could have it free take it  ;) the bypass plug looks like this http://www.yardandpool.com/bradley-cold-smoke-adapter-by-pass-plug

Habanero Smoker

Search the forum, a member converted his OBS to use a digital generator. It was some years back, shortly after the digitals hit the market. I believe he installed the digital temperature sensor plug and sensor.

I can't recall if you have a PID or other type of temperature controller, but if you use the bypass plug, you will need to find a way to control the heat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sdcaller

Thanks for the input folks.

I took a pass on it. Seemed like a lot of work to adapt it.
I could have had it for a spare, but I 've got enough "stuff" around now that I don't need to add more to it.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

johnny.ford.9235

Can someone help me out? I have followed all directions but can't get my bisquettes to burn at all and produce any smoke. It's been going for over 2 hours and I've wasted 6 bisquettes already. The thermometer says 200 degrees but no smoke

Habanero Smoker

Hi johnny.ford.9235;

Welcome to the forum.

If you turned the smoker on and set the time and you are not getting any error messages, then it could the wire going to the bisquette burner being loose or disconnected.

You can open the generator without voiding the warranty to check the wiring. The below link will walk you through how to open and reassemble your generator.
How To Clean Your Generator

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)