Cold smoke some Sausage?

Started by wkahler, February 01, 2014, 08:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

We are out of linked Italian Sausage was going to take some pork and some LEM mix i have sitting here and stuff some up.  Was wondering if i can cold smoke it since it is below freezing out around here with the winter temps then freeze it and vacuum seal it after that?  Maybe like 2-3 hours of Hickory?
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Salmonsmoker

With or without cure #1 in the LEM mix? If you can keep tha cabinet temp. below 40F the whole time you'd probably be good. It'd be like smoking in your fridge. Hey now! There's an idea! ::) ::) If you can't keep it below 40F you'd need cure in it.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

wkahler

The mix i have is using cure, but i am smoking it in the Traeger with the AmazeN smoker.  Just wanted to add some smoke to it since most of the time we are cooking it in pasta or some other dish inside!

Salmonsmoker

I think Habs may have posted something a while back re: smoking in the danger zone even with cure #1 in the mix. I think it had to do with the amount of time and temp. in the danger zone being cumulative until it reaches safe temperature. I think I would light up the Amazen and stick it in your Traeger to see what temp. it reaches with your ambient temp. what it is. Would give you and indication of what to expect. Maybe Habs will see this and respond too.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Quote from: wkahler on February 01, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
The mix i have is using cure, but i am smoking it in the Traeger with the AmazeN smoker.  Just wanted to add some smoke to it since most of the time we are cooking it in pasta or some other dish inside!

I've been using my fully cooked smoked sausages in pastas for a while now and they always turn out great in the end.

RedJada

wkahler, check your outside temp!!! I'm in the Cleveland area and sitting at 46 degrees. Your location indicates your in Englewood, Ohio? If that is the case, dont do it... 3-4 days ago you would have been fine.

wkahler

Easy guys lol!!!   I know the temp rules lol!!  I am not looking to do it right now I will wait till the temps drop.

RedJada

Quote from: wkahler on February 01, 2014, 01:12:18 PM
Easy guys lol!!!   I know the temp rules lol!!  I am not looking to do it right now I will wait till the temps drop.

LOL, just kinda funny you post this on one of the warmest days this year. Been here 14 years and have never seen -15 degrees, It's defiantly been a cold winter. All you northern guys can just take a deep breath and suck the cold right out Ohio....  ;D ;D ;D

wkahler

I kind of thought of that after i kept getting all these notifications talking about temps LOL!!  I just wanted to know if anyone had done it before and had decent results!  Looks like next week will be a good time to try it looks like the teens will be back!

c_becker11

I'm looking for a good Cold Smoke walkthrough for a newbie...any ideas? I've got the BDS with the Cold Smoke Adapter...thanks!