Are tubed casings worth the money?

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, November 26, 2014, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I ordered some some tubed sheep casings for my breakfast sausage from a Canadian supplier.  I ordered "2" thinking I'd get two packs of several for the $11 they were charging.  But no, I got just 2 casings which are rated for 3 pounds each.

Apparently you soak these guys, pull out the tubes and load onto the horn.  sounds great but are they worth this expense?  I couldn't find any at the Sausage Maker site, are there any cheaper suppliers?

KyNola

Are they worth it?  I think that's a question only you can answer. 

Enid

I use Syracuse casing Co. for tubed sheep casings. A regular hank of 18/20 sheep casings can be a real pain to deal with. I I have not used tubed in larger hog casings as they are easier to work with.

tskeeter

You bet

Way easier than regular casings

More tender and linkable than call oven

renoman

So with these tubed casings does the tube just fit over the horn? If so you must need a very small horn. I would like to try them. Need to find a dealer here in Canada.

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: renoman on November 28, 2014, 06:01:41 AM
So with these tubed casings does the tube just fit over the horn? If so you must need a very small horn. I would like to try them. Need to find a dealer here in Canada.

According to the instructions, you soak them in water, pull out the tube and then insert on horn.  I'm going to assume that the sheep casings will hold their open form and will be easy to insert on the horn.

I plan on using them tomorrow, I'll give a review then.  They are 22/24 mm.  They were darned pricey, I got them from Stuffers out of BC, I'm hoping the convenience will work well.

tailfeathers

I've only used Syracuse casing tuned hog casings but I will never go back to regular ones. They are SO much easier to deal with. I would double check your instructions though because the ones I use have you put them on the stuffing horn before removing the sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oops tubed not tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

WoodlawnSmoker

Well, I had both a good and bad experience with these things.  I did some more reading and discovered there are both salted and pre-flushed tubed casings.  The ones I got were salted.  The instructions were very specific:  soak for 1/2 half hour, remove tube, flush with cool water and then put on horn.  I tried the instructions with the first casing, it was a disaster.  It was near impossible to get on the horn, I have lots of patience but they tore, developed holes, etc.  The second one I ignored the instructions.  I soaked and then put on the horn with the tube intact.

What a difference, it slipped right on, really nice.  They filled nicely and were nice to link too.  Much better.  Honestly, I am undecided if these things are worth it to me.  The difference might come tomorrow when I taste the snap.  I may have to try the pre-flushed guys to get a real sense before I abandon.  No vote either way yet for me.