Bradley original or Bradley 6 rack digital and why?

Started by Rubicon, December 18, 2014, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubicon

I am looking into getting my first smoker and I have been doing some research. I was looking at the masterbuilt sportsman elite and the Bradley. I think I am decided on getting the Bradley but have seen so many comments on problems with digital models. If anybody has some input it would be greatly appreciated.

Gafala

I have had my 4 rack digital for over two years, it sets outside rain or snow with a cover under my patio roof and I have never had a problem with it. ;D
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

dave01

If it was me I would just buy the one that I could get the best deal on. Either one will work great

Jim O

I'm into my 4th year with a digital 4 rack with no problems. (touching wood !!)
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Prof. Dr. Holzauge

Bought the Original and made a PID controller for it. Parts (PID, SSR, PT100 sensor, case, connectors) from eBay and AliExpress.com for less than 100 US dollars. The Original has fewer potentially breaking components, is cheaper, and with the PID, offers way better accuracy for the temperature control than the Digital model. Naturally, if one desires the timer functions etc. the Digital model offers, ok then. I don't...

tskeeter

I went with the 6 rack.  Because of the size.  More space to hang sausage.  Since the 6 rack only comes as a digital, I got the digital controls.

Reliability?  No problem.  I've had my smoker for about three years and the only issues that I have encountered are issues that something I did created.  (A cold pork shoulder in contact with the cabinet temperature probe for my PID caused a fusible link to activate to protect the smoker from over heating and a poorly ventilated shed caused smoke to back up into the smoke generator, resulting in a sticky puck feed microswitch.)

I got rid of my Masterbuilt to get a Bradley.  Why?  I really like the puck feeder.  With the Masterbuilt, I was tied to the chip feeding process during long smokes.  That translates into long nights with little sleep as you refill the chip hopper every hour or so.  With the Bradley, fill the puck magazine and you're good to go.  This allows the luxury of an over night smoke for things such as pulled pork.  I fire things up about 8 PM.  Dump spent pucks and refill the puck bowl with water at about 10 PM or so.  And go to bed.  Mid afternoon the following day, I've got pork shoulder ready for pulling in time for dinner.

The design of the Bradley also allows you to do cold smoking.  That means that you can easily smoke cheese.  I did figure out how to cold smoke in my Masterbuilt, but it wasn't a reliable process and the results could be kind of inconsistent.