Canadian Maple Bacon

Started by _Bear_, November 30, 2014, 10:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Time to make some Canadian Maple Bacon or Back Bacon as we call it up here in the cold north. 38.5 lbs will probably loose 4 lbs trimming the fat, but it will be ready for all the relatives to steal and take home after Christmas. I would smoke some cheese too, but I don't think it would be ready by Christmas.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

dave01

Bigbirdoffroad

I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

beefmann

that is gonna be some good bacon, i have made many many  loins into Canadian bacon, you may want to consider adding some crushed pineapple into the cure it  will add some  pine apple taste to the bacon and is quite good in my  opinion, also smoke  for no more then 3 hours and till an it of 142- 145 f.

_Bear_

Ended up with 33.7 lbs after trimming so we lost 56 oz of fat, cut into 16 pieces and rubbed with Bradley maple cure. Will be adding maple syrup Wednesday night.  I have actually done this several times before, total of 10 loins, 2 at a time, so this is my biggest smoke. I thought I had better make lots because most of it seems to get taken home by family and friends, so this time I will hold some back and hide it lol.

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

This is a sample of some of the back bacon I have cured in the past

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

Skishy

That looks delicious. It must be close to my lunch time because I am drooling at my desk.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

iceman

That looks to me like you have it dialed in Bear! Good looking bacon!  :)

sdcaller

Sure looks good.

When the whole "peameal roasts" are on sale, I buy them and smoke them for my back bacon. The advantage to buying the "peameals", is that they are already cured.

Having said all that, I was thinking that if I wanted to do my own curing I would buy loins at Costco like you did.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

_Bear_

Here it is after 4 days of curing then I added 1/2 cup of maple syrup to all 16 pieces and will let cure another 9 days while turning and massaging each day, then let the smoke roll

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

_Bear_

Dry cured in Mable Cure for 4 days, then soaked in Maple Syrup for 14 days while still curing, took it out of the fridge, soaked it in cold water for 2.5 hrs while rinsing several times, tied it up with butcher string, then rubbed it down in maple syrup, rolled it in maple sugar and the smoker is heating up while the meat rests for 1 hr, then will put in smoker at 150* with no smoke for 45 min, 2.5 hrs @ 220* rolling Maple smoke, then finish to an IT of 150* no smoke. Turn off heat and let sit for 1 hr to cool, bring in and vacuum pac........I forgot how much work this is LOL. I held 4 pieces back, I will do them next week. I wanted to see if the extra time made any difference

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

dave01

Sure looks good so far, let us know how it turns out

_Bear_

Will do Dave, we are off and smoking

Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ

tailfeathers

I did 4 whole loins worth one time and don't know that I would do it again very quick. It took FOREVER to reach IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

_Bear_

I held 1 back and have 3 loins in the smoker, 12 pieces. I suspect it will take a while, we are at -15*c or + 6
*f. I have it sheltered out of the wind and it is making good heat, but it will still take a while I would think
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ