Does not heat to temperature - frustrated!

Started by bostonsmoker, December 01, 2014, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bostonsmoker

I use my Bradley less and less because I consistently have problems w/ getting it up to temperature. I've replaced the element a few times and it seems to work for a few smokes, then I can't get it above 120 again. Thinking about getting a different brand. Any thoughts as I don't feel like tinkering much more with it?!
Thank you.

TedEbear

Are you verifying that the element is bad?  remove a wire off one end and check the element with a multimeter.  If it reads 27-32 ohms through it the element isn't the problem.

Also, don't run the Bradley with an extension cord if you're doing that.  Plus, keep the top vent at least halfway or more open at all times.

tskeeter

I think that TedEbear is on the right track.  I'd be surprised if the elements are the problem.  Especially if you bought the replacement elements over a period of time.  (A couple of years ago there was a batch of bad elements floating around.  But I haven't seen comments about element failures for quite a while, so the bad elements seem to be cleared from the system.)

One of the things I would look at is what else is on the circuit that you plug your smoker in to.  And how much power anything else on the circuit might be drawing.  A Bradley with one stock heating element will draw 5.2 amps.  But, if you have things like your garage coffee pot, the garage fridge, the freezer, or other appliances that draw a lot of power on the same circuit as your smoker, your smoker may not be able to draw as much power as it needs.

As you look at manufacturer's plates on things that might be on your smoker circuit, if you take the watts shown on the plate and divide by 120, you will get the number of amps that appliance draws.  Something to keep in mind is that operating load for a circuit is supposed to be no more than 80% of the circuit's rated capacity.  So, if you've got a standard 15 amp household circuit, the appliances on that circuit shouldn't draw more than a total of 12 amps.

A though just occurred to me.  How hot are you running your smoker?  Just wondering if you are running hot enough that you could be bumping up against limits in temperature sensors? 

Rider14

When I bought my NEw OBS, the smoker wouldn't get past 180F or so - they replaced the entire smoke generator box under warranty. Not sure what was wrong with the old one, but the new one didn't have that problem.

pne way to determine if it's the element or the controller is to plug your smoker directly into the wall, completely bypassing the controller, and see if it gets hot. Watch that thermometer, and I'd probably quit before you hit 270F or so, as the internal fail safes will stop it from getting any hotter (automatic temporary cut off to the circuit to the element at 270F via a sensor and a "fuse" that melts at around 290F or so). Not sure if this is bad for the smoker, it may be - so I can't say this is a good thing to do -  but I did it and it worked out ok.

If it gets hot when plugged directly into the wall, the problem is clearly the smoker box / smoke generator not sending enough juice to the smoker, and you should call Bradley and explain the problem. They'll hopefully send you a new smoker box.

If it still doesn't get hot, then you have an issue (likely with one of the failsafes kicking in too early).

- Dan