Cold or Hot Smoked Turkey?

Started by Dano, December 02, 2014, 07:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hey everyone,

It's that time of year where we hold our annual holiday party for colleagues and families and I usually deep-fry out several turkeys but wanted to try smoking out one too.  My question is - should I cold smoke and then oven-roast the turkey or cold smoke and deep-fry?  Hot smoke and roast or fry?  I've seen a lot on the forums here but wanted to get opinions on what they taste like(besides awesome!) and preferred methods from the more experienced.   Note I have a Bradley 4-rack digital and the cold-smoke attachment.

Thanks in advance!

Dano
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

iceman

What we do each year is brine the bird with a basic poultry brine for a couple of days in the fridge (about a 15 lb. bird, no bigger). Then we hot smoke it at 200/225 for about 2 to 3 hours. Then it gets a bath in the deep fryer to finish it off to the right IT. Turns out juicy with crispy skin and full of smoke flavor.
I'm sure others will pipe in with ideas.  ;)

I've been told by a few old timers that big birds and cold smoking don't mix to well. Bacteria, etc. in the danger zone to long.
That's just what we've been told so don't hold that as concrete by any means.

tskeeter

My approach has been to hot smoke rib-on breast at about 250 until the IT reaches about 170F.  About 3 hours of smoke.  I believe that 170 is a little high for breast meat, but I like the slightly drier texture.  Peel off the rubbery skin and slice.

Ka Honu

Quote from: iceman on December 02, 2014, 12:46:14 PM... birds and cold smoking don't mix to well. Bacteria, etc. in the danger zone to long...

What he said. Don't cold smoke poultry.

Dano

It's winter here and I can keep the temp between 35F and 40F - so would cold smoking still be that risky?

Question 2 - some of the turkies like butterballs are already brined or have 'seasoning' - if I'm going to be deep-frying is it still good to soak them in a low sodium brine prior?  I've fried up butterball turkeys with just a little homemade dry rub and they've worked great but not sure how salty they'd be if I soak them again overnight after thawing and they've already been seasoned.

Thanks!

iceman

My birds were organic with no added solution. If it's already got the "added solution to enhance flavor" don't brine it.
Since you are deep frying it anyhow why not hot smoke it to be safer?
Processed poultry is not handled in the best of conditions to begin with then rinsing it and leaving it longer at above freezing will only spread bacteria even more.
Even at 35/40f you still have the chance of contaminating everything that comes in contact with the turkey until it hits the deep fryer.
Rub it, hot smoke for however long you like, then into the fryer and you're good to go.  ;)

Dano

Sounds like hot smoking is the way to go since I'm not using any cures or brines.  Thanks all.

So if I hot smoke for say, 2 hours at 220F - do you still go by 3 mins / lb + a few mins at the end?  I'd imagine the fry time would be altered I just don't know by how much though...

renoman

I smoke mine with my 12" Amazin Smoker Tube in my Weber grill in a pan with water on a trivet. Try to keep the temp around 350. It turns out beautiful every time. Start early and FTC for up to 3 hrs until we are ready to eat.

renoman

BTW the smoked gravy from the pan of drippings is to die for.

iceman

Quote from: renoman on December 04, 2014, 02:53:14 PM
BTW the smoked gravy from the pan of drippings is to die for.

;D  Beat me to the punch!

Dano

Wanted to send a big thank you to all who replied. I got a small 9lb young turkey and brined it overnight with some stock, water, sugar, salt, a little cure and spices.   Hot smoked at 220F over apple and then into the oil for 3mins/lb. Came out perfect. Of the 3 birds I did the smo-fried one went first before the other two fried birds were touched! Definitely saving this method as a keeper! :)

iceman

Glad the plan worked out for you  :)