Author Topic: Smoke everywhere but inside  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Gazoo666

Smoke everywhere but inside
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »
Second time trying my BCS . No smoke inside - Fan underneath not spinning and very difficult to move manually - unit got so hot it melted the plastic knob off the puck clearing rod.
I'm very discouraged. I know that I can phone Bradley but after reading the forum and seeing that people have had to replace it 3 or more times I simply don't want it.
Just venting

Offline mjohn4330

Re: Smoke everywhere but inside
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:09 am »
Well, I bought a Bradley Counter-top Smoker and it was the pits! The first one worked twice and then the fan quit. Had smoke everywhere EXCEPT in the smoker. Their customer service folks were very helpful about it and sent me a new unit, no charge, and I got it in a couple days. Of course, it didn't work at all. No fan. Lots of smoke but none in the smoker where the food goes. What good is that? Maybe their big smokers are reliable, but the Counter-Top model is a piece of junk.

Offline mustangmoe

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:20:11 pm »
Lots of problems with those counter top models for sure. You would think they would address the problems instead of just sending out new units with the same problems. There is enough plastic garbage in the world, Bradely we don,t need any more garbage.  Make it right all ready.

Sent from my I-Phone

Offline trevorandlori

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:01:36 pm »
Same issue here. I got one for Xmas from DW, and we read the manual, followed the instructions, nothing.   >:(Followed by loud noises from the fan, smoke from the side, and burning plastic. It was to be my first smoker, and we went with Bradley on name recognition. My opinion is the 2 rack units are poorly constructed junk. :-[

We returned it and bought a 4 rack digital at a great price. Way more than what we need, but it would seem there are no smaller options from Bradley.

Offline dave01

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
This is the first time i read this thread, I would hope that Bradley would either redesign or quit this unit altogether

Offline Orion

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
  If you`ve got burning plastic in your home that is not good.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Create account for free at www.photobucket.com
Load selected pictures to your album
Left click on picture you want to post
Left click on IMG to copy (lower of 4 options)
Paste into your post
Viola!

Offline pnut6969

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:52:59 am »
So far so good my fan works I think but smoke pours from everywhere definitely not to be used inside I wish I had my 6 rack back :'(

Offline Bubby-Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:43 pm »
Second time trying my BCS . No smoke inside - Fan underneath not spinning and very difficult to move manually - unit got so hot it melted the plastic knob off the puck clearing rod.
I'm very discouraged. I know that I can phone Bradley but after reading the forum and seeing that people have had to replace it 3 or more times I simply don't want it.
Just venting

Very new to the site less than 1 hour on here.

Mine is probably the same, here is my observation so far , the internal fan blade and the expanded area in the botom tin on my unit are not on center to fan motor shaft but off by over 1/2 inch and the blade drags on the bottom tin and also smokes everywhere but inside the unit.  Because my uniit came to me used and with the smoking problem and has no warranty I am going to modify the bottom tin so the fan blade can spin free on startup, 1 1/2 inch hole saw should clear the internal fan blade and fix the problem pictures if it works scrap if it doesn't.  With the fan blade stalled the unit does not work with it spinning it works well outside near freezing today and my smoked pork and sausage patties were very good. Picking up a used 6 rack for good price tomorrow lots of extras with it but will still use this unit for smalll loads if I can fix it.  In a past life I was probably a blacksmith but am an old school mechanic that can actually fix crap not just replace parts

Well I cut the bottom sheet metal with a cutoff wheel quick and dirty but gave lots of room to the fan blade.  Plugged it in and the fan did not turn I oiled the armature shaft yesteday with a very light machine oil top and bottom of both upper and lower bushings, that made no diffference I keep the smoker outside and it was cold this morning just above freezing plugged in and set oven and the fan did not turn but with access to the fan blade it was really easy to finger start the fan so that is a plus, the armature shaft and the bushings are quite tight and the motor does not spin freely when cold possible clearance problem with motors.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:31:49 am by Bubby-Joe »
Bradley 6 rack with extras
1 1/2 Bradley 2 racks with problems electronics good
2 little chief's
Old bear chewed cold smoker box homemade

Offline Smoker John

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 12:37:46 pm »
Interesting info, my (I believe it's the fan) makes a lot of noise when I first turn it on then it subsides but it still seems to work...so far.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Offline Bubby-Joe

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 09:45:03 pm »
Mine works but only after getting the fan going it works fine when the fan turns but didn't work if the fan did not turn. 

Today saw me pickup an unused 6 rack with 8 extra racks and a case of 4 bx 120 briquet packs marked $50 plus a bx for a very very good price.  I plan to keep the 2 rack for small jobs, did a very nice job on pork sausage burgers I couldn't find my stuffer so improvised.  Got a fishing licence this year first time in 15 years salmon candy in the future a little early for salmon but some trout would be very nice
2 little chief's

Offline Bubby-Joe

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 06:57:58 pm »
Interesting info, my (I believe it's the fan) makes a lot of noise when I first turn it on then it subsides but it still seems to work...so far.

There are 2 fans on the right side looking at the unit, one for the heater and smoke transfer and the other for the power supply.  I have 2 units both came to me as failed units, I fix stuff others won't look at.  The first the problem was the smoke and heater fan failed to start everything else was good.  The second had the same fan fail to start and overheated and now only the electronics are salvagable.  The second also had a very loud power supply fan and a failed heater/smoke fan.
2 little chief's

Offline Smoker John

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53:18 am »
Sounds like the odds aren't in my favour for this thing to last. I'll be firing it up again soon
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Offline Bubby-Joe

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 07:06:35 pm »
Best to make sure the fan is turning then all is good for me anyway I moded # 1 unit by cutting the bottom fan guard to make room to turn the fan with my finger very crude but affective.
2 little chief's

Offline minkos61

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 03:09:06 pm »
Just had the same problem smoke everywhere but inside the unit. Looked in here saw the other peeps problems looked at the fan yup not spinning! Took my knife blade gave it a spin bang works now and smoke is where it should be inside the smoker. Going to see if there is a way to hook up a computer fan to it and try that maybe.

Ernie 

Offline Spidergirl

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 08:00:39 am »
We used ours for the first time and found that it does leak smoke from pretty much everywhere, making it impossible to use indoors. It worked fine, even without being able to read the screen (terrible!) and the piece of salmon I did came out ok...just ok...but I suppose there's a learning curve. I have never used an electric smoker. I think I'll give it another try today with some pork ribs.