Reheating pork butts for pulling

Started by BBQ_Ben, May 08, 2015, 06:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ_Ben

Hi all!
Smoked some butts ahead of time for an event tonight.  Life intervened and I couldn't pull them that day.  Just chilled them whole, still wrapped in foil.

Pondering how best to attack the reheat and pull?  Throw them in the oven for an hour or two at 225 and then pull?

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tskeeter

I'd be inclined to put them in a pan with a little bit of apple juice or apple cider and seal the pan with foil.  Then heat in the oven.  This will steam the pork butts.  There are a couple of reasons that I would use this approach.  Steam is a more effective heat transfer medium than air, so the meat will warm through faster.  And the moisture will keep the meat from drying out.  The down side is you probably won't have crispy bark.

You could use water or beer instead of the apple juice/cider, if you prefer. 

Pachanga

I have used the foil method mentioned by tskeeter - good method.  A couple of tips.

• Use the new non-stick foil by Reynolds.  You will not lose any bark stuck to the foil.  This is a good item for the pantry as a fist layer when reheating anything that sticks.

• Heat low and slow.  You do not want the meat to steam internally (external steam ok).  I heat at 200 - 205 degrees.  In a pinch, turn it up.  If you want a firmer bark, open the package at the last for 15 to 30 minutes.  Monitor the temperature with a probe.  If the butt was fully done, you can take it out at 170 degrees, if not, take it to 190 - 195 degrees.  Firm the bark by unwrapping an placing in a hot oven or even under the broiler if you watch it closely.

• Another method is to use a sealed vacuum freezer bag and simmer covered in water in a large pot (similar to the new rage; sous vide).  Again, you do not want to boil and cause internal steaming.  I would wrap it in foil first and then in the bag to prevent any plastic transfer.  I have noticed a slight transfer when the meat was in the simmer for an extended period. 

I keep thirds or quarters of butts in the freezer ready to go for a quick meal or when company shows unexpectedly. 

Good Luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Pachanga

A couple of other thoughts.

1)  I prefer to keep my frozen butts in chunks or whole to pull later.  I think the final reheated product is better.  Just a preference, others may like theirs pulled.

2)  If you ever think the meat is a little dry (probably only has ever happened to me), add a little butter to the shredded meat.  Add a little at a time in thin or shaved pieces.  The mouth feel of moisture that we crave is not water, it is primarily fat.  The butter also is a nice flavor additive.   A few drops of bacon grease also works well.

BBQ_Ben

Thanks, guys!

I ended up just reheating in the foil for a while and then shredding and finishing the reheat in the crock pot with some of the Carolina-style dressing that I always (vinegar, brown sugar, Kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and a splash of ketchup).

Turns out I didn't get it high enough in the original smoke, though. Wondering of my cheapo probe thermometer is getting out of whack.  Had to chop with the electric knife rather than pulling.  Nobody but me knew or cared, but I felt like I'd cheated :)

No issues with dryness. Fat was still helping out as it should and the taste was fantastic.

If I had a vacuum sealer, that would be the way to go to be sure.  I'll try with the juice next time 'round.  I think that would have helped get to pullable.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk