Tips for smoking a boneless pork loin

Started by jaywhitKY, December 07, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaywhitKY

I want to smoke a boneless pork loin (8lbs, bought at Sam's club). I've never done one and was looking for tips on how you guys cooked them. I had planned on splitting it into two pieces to better fit my BS611.  I've heard about people brining them, marinating them, and even wrapping in bacon when you smoke it. I assumed I could cook until it reached 150-155 then take off and wrap for 30minutes  to an hour. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  8)

Habanero Smoker

The new latest USDA guidelines recommends 145°F (with a 3 minute rest) for the safest temperature. I take mine to 142°F and tent foil during the rest, with 140°F being used by many chefs as the lowest possible safe temperature. I don't tightly wrap or FTC a pork loin during rest. When you FTC you are turning your cooler into a passive oven so the pork will continue to cook and possible overcook.

Cutting it in half will be fine. Whether or not I'm making Canadian bacon or cooking fresh pork, I generally will cut mine into thirds. The first third is where the dark meat turns into white meat. Then I halve the remaining longer piece. I then will use butcher's twine and tie the each piece. This gives it a uniform shape, and helps it cook more evenly.

When cooking fresh pork loin, I use my favorite recipe that I will use to roast a pork loin in the oven; that includes stuffed loins. The only change I make, if the recipe call for shearing I skip that. Cook the pork at 225°F, applying 1:40 - 2:00 of smoke (I like pecan). Then continue to cook until your desired internal temperature is reached. After it has rested, if you want, you can do a reverse sear. Just use equals part of canola oil and butter, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. Use medium high heat that in a cast iron pan. Remove the garlic before it burns, and you can sear the cooked loins in the hot oil.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

newsmoker22

Hey Habanero any chance you would want to share your recipe. thanks
avid bow hunter, smoke everything i harvest

Habanero Smoker

For pork loins I don't have a basic recipe. I generally will prepare the loin on what type of flavor profile I'm looking for at the time, and either search the internet or my cookbooks for a recipe that looks good. Then convert the cooking method, to how I can cook it in the Bradley. Right now I'm tired of Tex-Mex flavors and leaning more towards Asian and Jamaican flavors. Lately I've also been brining my pork loins. Just make sure you pork is not enhanced (already brined).

I use a very simple brine.
2qts. water
2 Tablespoons Pickling Salt (Table salt)
2 Tablespoons sweetener (optional), this can be white or brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup etc.

Mix all ingredients. Cool the brine to at least 40°F. Place loin in the brine, move it to the refrigerator, and brine  you loin for 4 - 6 hours. After brining pat dry with paper towel, and air dry (uncovered) in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then prepare the loin per recipe, and cook it in the Bradley at 225°F. On my last couple of loins, I've only used 1 hour of smoke and was very satisfied with that, but most like more smoke. I cook to an internal temperature of 140°F, then tent foil. During rest the carryover will bring it up another 2 - 3 degrees. If you want to make sure your loin meets the USDA recommended temperature, take it out of the Bradley at around 142°F, and it should reach 145°F. I don't recommend using the FTC method on loins, you will end up over cooking it.

I have been taking a close look at one of Bobby Flay's pork loin recipes. He has a brine that I am tempted to use. His brine is located within his recipe that I provided a link to.
Brined Pork Loin....

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bundy

Will have to try this as Pork is still cheap.