Honeywell UDC Controller

Started by Orion, December 12, 2014, 07:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

Hi, This is my second post as I previously introduced myself as suggested.

I purchased a BDS 4 rack and have now salvaged a Honeywell UDC2000 Temp controller. I know it works as the industrial oven it came from was operating as required. I searched the forum and determined there are a few other members using the Honeywell products to maintain constant temps and program suitable ramp ups. Particularly "Pensrock", I found a thread where he is using a similar controller and has had good service from it.

Can anyone offer me some assistance in wiring this unit to my smoker? I will try to post some pictures of the assembly. Thanks.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

TedEbear

I don't have any info for the Honeywell but here a link to the Auber PID controller installation procedure.  The wiring diagram in there might help you out.  I installed mine in the SG.

Orion

Thanks TedEbear,

I had already viewed and studied your thread on the controller you installed and the Honeywell has different wiring. Looks like you did a good job.

Quick question, a little off topic, I sent pensrock a PM for help however my sent box shows as no messages sent? Not sure if it went to him or not?

TedEbear

You might not have your options set to save a copy of any sent message.  You can go into the "My Messages > Preferences > Change Settings" and check to see how it is currently configured.

Orion

You were right TedEbear. Sent box now diplays messages. Pensrock received my note and has already replied. Our controllers are slightly different and I have some research to do. Thanks for your help.

pensrock

I did get the message and hope my replies will be helpful. Welcome to the forum.  :)

Orion

Thanks pensrock. Here's my first attempt at posting a picture, fingers crossed it works...

If anyone could offer some insight as how to make the correct connections I would be grateful.

TedEbear

The Honeywell UDC2000 Product Manual looks like it has a lot of helpful information.  Pay close attention to pages 17-18.  It's a large pdf, so give it a minute or so to d/l.

Based on those pages I'd connect the AC line voltage to L1 & L2, the TC to 7 & 8, the SSR control to 4 & 5.

Orion

Yes, lots to digest and learn. I've been looking at that manual all day and it's starting to make a little sense. Electronics is all new to me so it's a steep curve. Page 14 looks critical. Are you able to determine what type of SSR would be best suited to this controller? I am studying the manual and using google  but like everything else , unless you speak the electronic language it is difficult to wade through.

TedEbear

I am using an Auber 25A SSR on my setup with dual 500W elements.  Auber's next smaller size is 5A (too small) and their next larger size is 40A (overkill).  The 25A seems to work well and I believe that is what it specifies in the "how-to" article in the link I posted earlier today.  A heat sink on the back is recommended.  I salvaged one off some discarded computer stuff at work.

Orion

Terrific. Now that it's starting to make sense, I look at your "How To" thread and see that everything you explained pretty much applies to my controller. It just has a few more terminals and they are labelled differently. Once I get a relay I think I can wire it all together as you instructed and it should work.

pensrock

One thing you need to understand is the output type. The Auber is a VDC output for a SSR. Yours is a current output. (4-20mA) So you need to add a resistor to change it to DCV and make sure you are within the input settings for the SSR. The Auber SSR operates from 3-32VDC. So once you are getting DCV output it needs to be less than 3 volts when the output is off and above 3VDC when the output is on.

Orion

Now knowing what you have explained pensrock regarding output for the relay, I will re-look at the manual until the relay operation makes sense to me. Thanks to both you and TedEbear for your patience and help.

Going to season it today and try Jan's rub on some pork back ribs tonight. Don't want to put game I it until I have grown accustomed to it.

( I hear Sydney's a bit swollen) :(