A-Maze-N Pellet smoker

Started by LanduytG, December 13, 2014, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Has anyone used the A-Maze-N pellet smoker for cold smoke? I have the cold smoker adapter and it works well. I'm doing a load of cheese today and outside temp is 43 and smoker is only 61. However I want to do some cold smoker breakfast sausage and that needs 3 days of smoke. At the price of the Bradley bisquettes I would go broke. Just wondering if there is enough air flow inside the smoker to keep it going.

Thanks
Greg

TedEbear

Yes, I use one for both cold and hot smoking.  The hard part for me was initially getting it lit until I discovered a trick of putting a few drops of charcoal lighter fluid on the end pellets.  Then I let it flame for a minute or two, blow it out and stick it in the Bradley.

I've cold smoked cheese and Chex Mix with it and hot smoked a lot of other things.

Wait...I just reread your message.  Three DAYS of continuous applied smoke???

Hmm...I did a Google search and I guess 3 days is normal. TENN COUNTRY SMOKED BREAKFAST SAUSAGE  It appears that he uses the A-Maze-N pellet tray.  Mine is the 12" tube version.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: LanduytG on December 13, 2014, 09:50:27 AM
Has anyone used the A-Maze-N pellet smoker for cold smoke? I have the cold smoker adapter and it works well. I'm doing a load of cheese today and outside temp is 43 and smoker is only 61. However I want to do some cold smoker breakfast sausage and that needs 3 days of smoke. At the price of the Bradley bisquettes I would go broke. Just wondering if there is enough air flow inside the smoker to keep it going.

Thanks
Greg

Use a torch (like one you hook to a green propane 1lb bottle) to light. Never use lighter fluid on your pellets to ignite then into your smoker.

TedEbear

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 13, 2014, 11:16:39 AMNever use lighter fluid on your pellets to ignite then into your smoker.

And the reason being?

The charcoal starter gets applied with the A-Maze-N tube outside of the smoker.  Then it is lit outside of the smoker where it continues to flame for a couple of minutes.  It is only after you blow the flame out when you put the tube in the Bradley.  I figured everyone knew that.  Perhaps I was expecting too much.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: TedEbear on December 13, 2014, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 13, 2014, 11:16:39 AMNever use lighter fluid on your pellets to ignite then into your smoker.

And the reason being?

The charcoal starter gets applied with the A-Maze-N tube outside of the smoker.  Then it is lit outside of the smoker where it continues to flame for a couple of minutes.  It is only after you blow the flame out when you put the tube in the Bradley.  I figured everyone knew that.  Perhaps I was expecting too much.

I just do things different than most.....EH

dave01

I use mine in the cold smoke adapter and it works great, plenty of air to keep it lit. Leave your top vent wide open

pensrock

I do not understand the 3 days of smoke part. I have smoked sausage for 5-6 hours before and it was very smokey, almost too much. I can't imagine what it would taste like with 3 days of smoke.  :o
Good luck I hope it turns out good. Keep us informed.  :)

LanduytG

Quote from: pensrock on December 13, 2014, 02:57:24 PM
I do not understand the 3 days of smoke part. I have smoked sausage for 5-6 hours before and it was very smokey, almost too much. I can't imagine what it would taste like with 3 days of smoke.  :o

Thanks for the tip, I never thought about doing that way. I just ordered the 5x8 pellet version. It comes with a bag of pellets and I got a bag of dust too.

Greg

LanduytG

Quote from: pensrock on December 13, 2014, 02:57:24 PM

Three days is what my dad and grandpa did back in the 30's. With temps under 40 and not using a cure the smoke is what keeps the bacteria at bay. We have not had cold enough temps here in a couple of weeks to do that. But January is around the corner and I'm sure we will have cold temps then.

Greg

laserdoc

Have been cold smoking bacon with the amaze now for a year. Using the cold smoke adaptor. A few things I have learned. I covered the opening of the small box where the puck burner would attach and the amaze goes inside instead. It has about a half inch gap on the bottom so air will be drawn in ,the vent,, on top the vent is wide open. Have had a problem with the amaze going out on me half way through the tray until this weekend. Here is what I did to solve this problem. ,,,the amaze should get airflow from underneath to keep the pellets going. With the tray sitting down inside the box it just does not get enough airflow to keep it going when it reaches the middle of the maze. I put a small piece of brick underneath the amaze in the middle so it is raised up about 2 inches. This allows for the airflow to get underneath the tray and keep things burning. I also have a small computer fan that is about 3x3 that sits outside near the vent opening of the plate I used to cover the opening where the puck burner would attach ( if I used it,which I do not ever use anymore since I got the amaze). The fan is turned way down low so I have a good airflow going in the box which gives me that good airflow in and out. Solves the issue if there is no breeze blowing. Started this morning at 6 Am and just reloaded the amaze with another load of maple and oak pellets. 75% maple 25% oak mix. Plan to let it go all night which will give me 24 hours in the smoker. Temp in the smoker likes to hang around 70 degrees. Going down to 35 tonight so I will be good . Bacon will be waiting on me when I'm get up tomorrow ;D

I also just started lighting both ends of the maze. Gets more smoke going. Also light the ends and let it burn for about 5 min to get a good bed of pellet coals.

callatis

Hi,
I have the Bradley smoker and as soon as I finish the pucks I got on sale I'll gate the A-Maze-N and the wood pellets that would last 15 times more than a 48 pack of biscuits.

I was wondering how to place the tray inside the Bradley smoker? Laserdoc explained his setup.
Anyone has a picture?

TedEbear

I lay mine on the lip of the water bowl and away from any grease that might drip down.  I have a 12" A-Maze-N pellet tube.

callatis

Thanks TedEbear!
Do you have any issue with the heating element being too close?

Can anyone post a picture of how to place the AMAZEN tray?
Thanks!

TedEbear

Quote from: callatis on October 08, 2017, 08:37:22 PM
Thanks TedEbear!
Do you have any issue with the heating element being too close?

No, I lay it on the lip of the water bowl near the door.  The heating elements (dual element mod) are closer to the back wall.

callatis

The tube vs the tray? 4h maximum vs 11h? Which one to buy?
I guess the tray can be placed on the the water bowl, having the bawl upside down, isn't it?