A-Maze-N Pellet smoker

Started by LanduytG, December 13, 2014, 09:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

What do you need more than 4 hours of smoke for?  I've been told by some pitmasters at BBQ competitions that after the first 3-4 hours the meat absorbs very little smoke and it is just slow cooking after that.  If you wanted more smoke than the 4 hour pellet tube you could always refill it and smoke longer.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: callatis on October 09, 2017, 07:35:53 PM
The tube vs the tray? 4h maximum vs 11h? Which one to buy?
I guess the tray can be placed on the the water bowl, having the bawl upside down, isn't it?

You do not want to setup your smoker in that configuration, unless you are just smoking cheese, vegetables, salt, spices etc. If you smoking meats, especially those with a lot of fat content, you need the water bowl to catch the rendered fat, and other drippings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

callatis

Quote from: TedEbear on October 09, 2017, 10:07:58 PM
What do you need more than 4 hours of smoke for?  I've been told by some pitmasters at BBQ competitions that after the first 3-4 hours the meat absorbs very little smoke and it is just slow cooking after that.  If you wanted more smoke than the 4 hour pellet tube you could always refill it and smoke longer.
Back home we cold smoke bacon (pork belly), pork fat, loin, etc. even for 5 days. I am not looking to do this one but I started hot smoking pork loin using the Smoke Generator and as I start from 160F and increasing the temp every hour, it takes me a bit over 5 hours to get it done.
I am also reading the manufacturer's recommendation not to use the water bawl when using pellets as they won't burn properly. Are you guys using water or not? And where do you place the tube? Just on top of the empty water bawl?

TedEbear

Quote from: callatis on October 10, 2017, 05:13:11 AM
I am also reading the manufacturer's recommendation not to use the water bawl when using pellets as they won't burn properly. Are you guys using water or not? And where do you place the tube? Just on top of the empty water bawl?

The pellets burn fine with my A-Maze-N tube.  I fill the bowl with water and place the tube on the lip, close to the door.

callatis

Quote from: TedEbear on October 10, 2017, 11:25:34 AM
I fill the bowl with water and place the tube on the lip, close to the door.
Thanks. Is the tube leaning on the lip or it's horizontal over the water bowl?

TedEbear

Horizontal, across two edges of the water bowl.

kma6309

With water in the bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedEbear

TMB

Quote from: callatis on October 09, 2017, 07:35:53 PM
The tube vs the tray? 4h maximum vs 11h? Which one to buy?
I guess the tray can be placed on the the water bowl, having the bawl upside down, isn't it?
Buy both  ;)      I use buth my 6 in tube and a tray but I have a 9 in tube if need be
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!