Newbie Advice: Pork Shoulder

Started by Captain_BS, December 07, 2014, 06:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_BS

First ever post and a proud new owner of a Bradley. So today last minute i decided to make some pulled pork. For my first time id say my pork shoulder came out great. The only problem that i had was I couldn't pull it into real small stringy pieces, but it came out real moist and tasted great.

Bradley Gods please give me advice. This is exactly what i did.

Purchased a 3 lb butt at my local grocery store. Selection was poor so i picked the one with least fat. I trimmed the outer fat off leaving enough for flavouring. Also made sure to keep that side up while smoking. Undortionetly after pulling the shoulder i found that it had lots more fat hidden inside so please keep that in mind.

- Rubbed and injected with lots of apple juice 18 hours before the smoke. I decided to salt the shoulder with sea salt right before putting it into the bradley.

- Smoked for 4 hours between 210-230 degrees using hickory and apple. By accident i put my probe into a pocket of fat so it read 180 after four hours but in fact it was only at 150-155

- Took it out of the bradley at an internal temp of 150-155 and foiled it. I put it in the stove for another 1-1.5 hours and took it out when the internal temp hit 195 & 200 (i have a dual thermometer)

- Let it sit for 40 minutes before pulling.

So my problem is that the shoulder came put real moist and tastes great. Only problem is it didn't pull fully into real small stringy pieces. Why dis this happen?

I'm boggled because i got it to the internal temp going low n slow and hit the suggested internal temp. Could it be because it had too much fat and couldn't pull as good?  Should of i not foiled? Or may i should of went lower and slower?

Please help me!

Maximus1959

Make sure you post pictures of how it turned out. Thanks

dave01

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that others will be along shortly to share their knowledge with you

beefmann

all pieces of meat are different and cut differently, your temperatures of the box and the meat are correct  Im thinking that your  knife, or item that you  were using was  / is  a  bit  dull which may  lead to  long  stringy pieces ,

also you  say that you  took it to a  stove?  if you   did  was it in a  pot at a  higher temp?  or  even  your inside oven  at a  higher  temp?

if so,, the lessor time and  higher temps did not allow the connective tissue to break down correctly also leading to your issue,   
A rule of thumb is 1 hr to 1 1/2 hour  per  lb  at  a  box temp of 225 f is an approximation, However  when it is done it is  done,,, keep all temps at the  same and you  will be fine,,, the  wrapping in foil helps keep the  moisture in  and lessens time to a  point,,,

a few other  pointers are ,, no peaking ,, keep the top vent  open, trust your  equipment,,, and enjoy

Captain_BS

Thanks Beefman for the reply. My knife was definitely dull and might of been one of the big reasons. Thank god i'm getting a new knife set this chrisymas. When you let the meat sit after cooking , do you leave it covered or uncovered?

KyNola

Perhaps rather than actually getting a butt you inadvertently purchased the "picnic ham" cut of a shoulder.  They have a different texture than the butt portion and can be difficult to get to pull like a butt.

Just a thought.

Captain_BS

I have a feeling i just might of. The meat was more on the "pink ham" looking side to tell you the truth. As well it had a fair bit of fat inside.