Puck Feeding issue..

Started by Cheezhead, December 15, 2014, 04:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheezhead

Hi Folks.
Looking for some help here...  I have an issue with the puck advance.  Sometimes it works fine for say 3-4 in a row, then it misses.  I have looked around on here and found a guide to cleaning the internal working of the unit and did just that.  Now, while still apart on my kitchen counter top I powered it up and watched..... It made first initial advance then when it was time for another it just made a click noise and nothing happened.  ???  Almost like the electronic switch gear is bad or the motor is faulty....  My smoker is just over 1 year old.
Looking for answers and who to contact and their info.  Thanks much! 

Habanero Smoker

Hi Cheezhead,

Welcome to the forum. You should call Bradley and see if they will still cover you.

Bradley lines are open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST Monday through Friday
Customer Service - Toll Free: (866) 508-7514

If you need your smoker up and running as soon as possible, the following may help. From your description it looks like your micro switch is the problem. Since you have it apart, try pressing the micro switch fully in (if you have large fingers, use the end of a paper clip) and see if the motor engages. NOTE: if the switch has to be pushed in too far, that may also be a sign that it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't engage you may need a new switch. If it does engage; try cleaning the switch with an electrical contact cleaner, if you don't have that us a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol and clean the switch, then wipe the residue off with a paper towel. Don't use too much alcohol, you don't want any access alcohol flowing into the switch. After cleaning, press the Auto feed button a few times to see if it works properly. If it works properly you are good to go. If the motor doesn't shut off after one complete cycle you may need to adjust the motor.

You can get parts from Bradley, or Yard & Pool is an excellent source for parts.

More Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cheezhead

Hey ! Thanks so much for your speedy reply.  Great info and a great help !!!!  I will give this a try.  I hate inconsistent electrical issues....you never know where you're at...  >:(  Thanks again !!!

renoman

watch this video and then try to adjust the micro switch by moving the motor housing closer or further. Most likely you need a new microswitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvDqe2wLRw

DGSchmidt

My Bradley started skipping or using too many pucks.  I went out after the first hour of a 4 hour smoke last week, and had only used 1  puck.  Went out an hour after that, and it had spit 5 into the bowl - and they were hardly singed at all but turned to mush.

Is this a micro switch too?

Habanero Smoker

It very well could be a problem caused by the micro switch. The switch itself could be faulty, or you may need to adjust the position of the motor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Cheech

If your smoker is still under warranty call Bradley before you do anything. 

I had the puck advance issue too...very frustrating.  I pulled it apart and cleaned it and still had the problem.  Next I called Bradley and they sent me a new micro switch...but I still had the problem.  I had just begun pulling it apart again and going for my dremel tool to try to alter the motor mount to get it closer to the micro switch when I realized...this thing is still under warranty and I don't want to fool with all of this.

I called them and they sent me a new smoke generator immediately.  Their customer service is great...they support their product...give them a call before you waste any of your time.

Habanero Smoker

It is always good to call Bradley, but if it is a Friday evening, and/or holiday weekend and you want to get your smoker up and running to smoke/cook something over the weekend, there is nothing wrong with opening your generator, checking for loose wires, and cleaning parts. That will not void your warranty, and it just may get you up and running. Though it will be a problem when you get your power tools out and you start altering parts. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.