Trying my hand at Boston Butt.....

Started by jaywhitKY, December 22, 2014, 04:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaywhitKY

So I'm gonna try my hand at Boston Butt(10lbs) for the first time. From what I've read most people cook at a temp of 200-220°, let it smoke for around 4hrs, and let IT reach 190°. Also read some people FTC for a certain period of time after it reaches 190°. Does this sound about right? I know time varies based on factors like lbs, outside temp affecting smoker, and so on. I'm not worried about total time cause I am gonna give myself hours to spare. Also, when you FTC, how long can you do that and keep a good temp? Thanks for any tips. I never thought I'd love smoking more than grilling.

tailfeathers

I've used the FTC method for 4 hours and the meat was still to hot to handle comfortably with bare hands. I use the smallest available cooler that will hold the meat and put a few layers of newspaper on top before closing the cooler. One last thing, use the fork test to determine doneness. Insert a meat fork and twist, if it turns easily you are good to go. If it doesn't, keep cooking. I like to cook my butts at 205F, they will usually pass the fork test at 185 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

watchdog56

This will probably take a total of 14-18 hours is my guess. I usually pull mine when it hits an IT of 195 and have been satisfied with every one of them. I usually FTC for 2-3 hours and they are still plenty hot.

jaywhitKY

Thanks for the extra tips!  I'm anxious to get it started shortly. I'm gonna try my best to get some pics up afterwards, as long as it's a success. Lol....Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.  8)