Planning my first pulled pork smoke.

Started by Meatatarian, December 15, 2014, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meatatarian

Hey all, I have just spent the last 2hrs reading up on smoking pork butts.  I am wanting to have one ready for Dec. 23 at supper time when all the family rolls in for Christmas.

So, here is my plan:

10 lb butt, Jan's rub just before putting it into the smoker, 4 hrs of apple smoke, finish cooking in smoker at 220 until fork test proves done or IT of 190.  I plan on starting the smoke at 2:00 pm on the 22nd.  If done earlier than anticipated, FTC until crew arrives.

Am I missing anything obvious or does anyone care to add any suggestions?

I am also hoping my Auber dual probe shows up in the next day or so to control my temp.

GusRobin

With a butt, you don't need to worry about controlling the temp.
I would review the timing. I have had 8 lb butts at 225* take anywhere from 16 -24 hours. It all depends on the butt -some are more stubborn than others.
I usually do the butt so it is ready the day before, pull it and then reheat in a crock pot with some broth. That way I don't have to worry about the timing and can enjoy myself at the gathering.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

Conventional wisdom for low & slow smoking a pork butt is to plan for 1.5 hours per pound and expect anywhere from 1 to over 2 hours. In your case, this could go anywhere from 10 to 20+ hours. With that in mind (and as Gus said) smoking the day before is probably the best way to go. Rest, refrigeration, and reheating never hurt pulled pork.

Your IT for pulling is likely to be closer to 200-205o than 190o but the fork test is the key.

OBTW, after the smoke, you can always rack the butt over a drip pan with some liquid in your oven to finish - it's easier to control the temp that way. Other options include covering in foil for a while after the smoke (aka "Texas Crutch") thereby helping get through the stall and insuring plenty of drippings - then uncover to crisp the bark back up.

Meatatarian

Thanks for the great insight guys!  I picked up the butt today and it weights 9.2 lbs.  I like the idea of doing the smoke the day before and having everything prepared.  I will have to see how my schedule works out and if I am able to get it done that way.  I told the wife if it doesn't turn out to have the pizza shop on speed dial!

TedEbear

I personally think pulled pork tastes a little better a day or two later than right after it has been smoked.

Meatatarian

Well, here is is ready to go into the smoker at 225* covered with Jan's rub.  I put it in at 8:30 pm on the 22nd. and now at 12:00 pm on the 23rd, it is a t 198*.  I am planning on pulling it out at 205* and FTC until 5:00 pm.  I think the timing worked out pretty good, I'm guessing it will FTC for about 3hrs or so.

Meatatarian

17 hrs later, 201* IT.  Now in FTC until supper time!  Smells really good!