General Smoking Questions

Started by Jasonq, December 21, 2014, 10:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasonq

I just want to tell everybody that I have enjoyed reading posts, recipes and Ideas. I just had some general questions. I am sure that there have been multiple posts about this stuff, but I would rather have all the information in one post. Thanks in advance. I just bought a bradley smoker 4 rack but I havent had a chance to use it.
Fish:
If I use a basic brine, how long should I brine it for? lets say 4 trout fillets. After I brine, how long should I smoke it for and what temp? when I am done smoking, can I freeze the fillets? If I freeze them, are they ready to eat out of the freezer? (after they thaw?) or can I cook them in the oven for a bit? I see posts about people just adding spices and smoking the same day at a higher temp for only an hour or 2, what is the advantage or disadvantage of that  when it comes to taste? When cold smoking trout, if I just add smoke for a few hours, do I freeze them and cook as normal, when I take them out? I have read about people using a brine and it being too salty, is it because they put too much salt in the first place or let it sit for too long?

Poultry:
Do I need to brine AND marinade? can I just add spices and smoke as normal? or does that mess up flavor? how long should I brine a 4lb whole chicken for and are there brines that add flavor too, so I would only have to brine and not marinade? can I cold smoke multiple things at once and then place them in the freezer and cook as normal? or is that not a good idea? Are there any premade brines out there or rubs that are good so I dont have to make my own? I know that is part of the experience, but a lot of rubs and brines consist of a lot of ingredients that sometimes I dont have time to get.  Thanks to whomever responds. I know these are very general questions, but I want to start off right.

GusRobin

I can answer some:
1) You don't have to either brine or marinade. Or you can do one or the other, or both. It is a personal choice.
One of the best pieces of advice I received was to keep a journal of my cooks. That way you can experiment and adjust accordingly on the next cook.

2) I have cold smoke multiple items at the same time. (except I have never done fish.) I have then frozen after cold smoke. Except cheese - cheese does not freeze well. You can wrap it tight or vac seal and just refrigerate and it will last for months in the fridge.

3) There are a lot of rubs out there, again it is a matter of personal taste. I use Sid's gunpowder a lot, mainly because I have a local store where I can buy it.

Hope it helps a bit.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

dave01

I can't answer all your questions but will try to help a little. I have never brined poultry, I dust it with Jan's rub and smoke it. As far as the fish goes I usually do mine between 200 and 225. After it cools down I package and freeze it. Yes you can eat it right out of the freezer. The brining time is harder to answer, it depends on the salt content of the brine. I usually use a 80% brine so I'm only brining about 30 to 45 minutes. Some people brine for hours with less salt. Depending on how thick the fillets are they will be done in 2 to 5 hours

RedJada

I don't do fish but sure do catch a lot of them. LOL. As far a poultry goes, it comes down to personal preference. The first time I did boneless breast I used a brine, that was a couple years ago and it came out great. You can make a brine with the flavors you like and marinade at the same time. Depends on your tastes or if your doing bone in or bone less. I love the bacon wrapped cordon bleu I do. I don't use a brine for this.

Like Gus said, keep track, take notes on how and what you do. Like or don't like and you will find your grove.