Cheese Biscuits

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, December 22, 2014, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm sure most of you have biscuit recipes dating from your grandmother's grandmother that you've perfected over the years.  Well I don't, this kind of stuff was not really done by my family for some reason so I'm on my own.  As my sausage and sauerkraut was simmering away in the slow cooker I figured some biscuits would go well too.

I googled a simple recipe from Canadian Living for biscuits.  They turned out really well, so light and airy, I will do them again and again.  The cheese I used was an old, very sharp cheddar that I had smoked, I'm sure that helped with the good taste.  I'm only posting this recipe for those that don't have a family recipe and want a biscuit recipe that can be used as a base.  So simple and quick.

Ingredients

2-1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
    1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
    1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cubed
    1 cup (250 mL) shredded old Cheddar cheese
    1 cup (250 mL) milk
    1 egg, lightly beaten

In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese. Pour milk over top and stir with fork to make soft, slightly sticky ragged dough.

With floured hands, form into ball. Turn out dough onto floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead gently 10 times. Gently pat into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick round. Using 2-inch (5 cm) floured cutter, cut out rounds. Place on ungreased rimless baking sheet. Gather up scraps and repat dough; cut out more rounds, pressing remaining scraps into final biscuit.

Brush tops of biscuits with egg. Bake in centre of 425°F (220°C) oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks; thaw and reheat in 350°F (180°C) oven until hot and crisp, about 10 minutes.)

LindaKaufman

Thank you, I tried to cook yesterday, it is really tasty and easy. There is where to use old cheese.

RedJada

Thanks for sharing. What is considered old cheese?

manfromplaid

any recipe this easy needs to be tried. did a batch yesterday and used a smoked med. chedder. easy to do and a very nice biscuit. into my I can do this book it goes.