10lb Pork Butt

Started by Smokesmore, December 25, 2014, 07:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokesmore

Hello all,

I just wanted to stop in and get some pointers before I dive in and start smoking a 10lb pork butt.  I have the DBS if that helps. If you guys have links to good recipes it would be appreciated.  If you have some of your own knowledge you would like to share that would be great too. 

Here's the plan:

Smoker at 225 degrees
Smoke for 5 hrs (I'm going to use the Bradley Special Blend)
I've seen that it takes 1.5 to 2 hours per pound so I figure I would let it sit in the smoker for another 12-15 hours until it hits 195 degrees.

Do I foil or wrap at any time in the smoker?
Am I smoking it long enough?
Will I get a good bark?
Does my timing sound right?
I have the pork rubbed in the fridge right now, do I need to inject it with something? Apple juice?
Do I have to baste while its cooking?

Any suggestions or previous posts that you think are worth looking at please let me know.

Thanks for your help... I really don't want to screw this up.  The party starts at 6:00PM tomorrow.  Merry Christmas too!

ragweed

I'm definitely not an expert on P. butts, but I'd start in now.  Some pigs take a long time.  If it's done early, you can FTC or pull then re-heat in a crock pot.

As far as injecting or basting, I don't.  Just rub it and let it go (not an expert, remember)  The IT will stall somewhere around 160* F.  Be patient.

The experts will be along shortly, I'm sure.  But my advice....start it now.

Orion

You might want to bring the Pork Butt up to at least room temp or preheat it to 225 in your oven before putting in the smoker. This might lessen your overall cook time and take some of the load of the BDS in trying to get up to temp. Just a thought from a learner.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

TedEbear

Quote from: Smokesmore on December 25, 2014, 07:38:59 AM
Here's the plan:

Smoker at 225 degrees
Smoke for 5 hrs (I'm going to use the Bradley Special Blend)
I've seen that it takes 1.5 to 2 hours per pound so I figure I would let it sit in the smoker for another 12-15 hours until it hits 195 degrees.

Do I foil or wrap at any time in the smoker?
Am I smoking it long enough?
Will I get a good bark?
Does my timing sound right?
I have the pork rubbed in the fridge right now, do I need to inject it with something? Apple juice?
Do I have to baste while its cooking?

I used to cook butts at 225.  The last year or so I've had the cooking chamber at 210 and I bring the IT up to 190-195.  They seem to turn out noticeably more moist and tender.

No need to foil or wrap unless you need to speed up the cooking time.  Wrapping in foil softens the nice bark and a nice bark is good to chop up in tiny pieces and add to the pulled pork.

5 hours seems like a long time to apply smoke.  Most people seem to go 3-4 hours.

No need to inject or baste.

If it were me I'd start cooking it now.  To me pulled pork tastes better reheated the next day.

Wildcat

Ditto. I rub with EVOO and apply a rub. Usually Iceman's oinker rub. I've heard that Jan's is good as well. I Have not tried it yet. have also used CYM vice EVOO but prefer the flavor of the EVOO.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokesmore

Smokesmore

It's been going for 9 hours now and I smoked for 4 hours. For some reason it doesn't even really have a bark. I guess I was expecting a blacken exterior. Does it not happen till later? More smoke? Help!

ragweed

Wildcat

The bark forms as the beast cooks. The rub and smoke gives it flavor. The outer layer needs to dry out some before you get the bark. If you wrap in foil the bark will no be the same due to moisture being trapped.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

If you want a more pronounced bark molasses seems to be one way to get there.  Check this link: How do you make your Butt Bark

Smokesmore

Thanks for the link.  It's still going. Currently at 192° and it's been going for 17.5 hours at around 210° smoker temp.

Smokesmore

Will FTC wreck the bark?  I'm assuming I should pull it at 195°?

tailfeathers

Stick a meat fork in and twist. If it turns easily it's ready to come off. Could vary from 180 to 200. Depends on the critter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Smokesmore

Before....
And after 18 hours... thanks for the help I think it looks good? I'm FTC'ing it for a while till we eat.

Smokesmore

Nice to hear from you again Tail, been busy and wife's prego, haven't had a lot of time to smoke.