Use of The Maverick Remote Thermometer

Started by nsxbill, July 28, 2004, 06:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Question for those who use the Maverick, or plan to use it.  Where is the best place to put the probe to measure ambient temperature inside the smoker?

I have an extra probe, and I think I will permanently mount it and have the wire ready to hook up to the remote sender.

Your experience with placement would be appreciated.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bsolomon

That's a bit of a trick question, since you will get different readings wherever you place it.  

We know that you will have a temperature gradient in the cabinet from hottest near the burner and heater element, and coldest at the top near the vent.  I figured the cabinet temperature to be most concerned with would be wherever the food is.  So with the built-in thermometer reading at about the third shelf up, I settled on the second shelf up (using the clip to hang under the rack) and consistently see about a 15 degree higher temperature there, although I've read that we shouldn't put too much trust in the cabinet thermometer.

I think the real key is to make sure you set it in the same place every time.  That way you get a "feel" for how your particular temperature readings should translate into cooking times.

Bassman

nsxbill,
I put my probe on either the 2nd shelf or the top shelf, all the way on the right side. No particular reason, It just fits nice and out of the way.[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

pedally

I have mine stuck through a piece of cardboard and hanging through one of the vent holes (the tip about 3 inches in).

BigSmoker

IMHO,
I would clip the pitt temp thing to the rack closest to the heat source, then rotate bottom to top [:)] after 1/2 cook time.  Happy Smokin'

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
http://devoted.to/bbq
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.