single 900 watt or 2 500 watt element mod

Started by Alanfromwis, December 28, 2014, 07:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alanfromwis

Don't know if anyone ever has tried both until now, but I now have in my Bradley 4 rack digital. Installed the 900 watt in Aug of 2012 & this month during a smoke the temp did not get above 200F on a cold windy day. During checking found 900 watt element resistance is now 32 ohms. Was  16 ohms when installed, so it appears there must be 2 450 watt elements in parallel, & 1 burnt out. I did order & install a 500 watt from Yard & Pool. Installed the original & new  so I can compare the 2-500 watt to the 1-950 watt setups.
  We'll see what the comparison shows.
  Alan 
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Orion

I'll be interested in your results as I have not yet decided which mod to do. I was wondering about the placement of the second element when doing the 2 x 500 watt mod. Seems like  you might not get the best results with two 500 watt elements within less than 2 inches of each other? Has anyone explored mounting the second element closer to the door so as to distribute the heat generated more evenly across the bottom of the smoker?
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Alanfromwis

Orion,
  There is not much room to move the 2nd element closer to the door as the bottom heat deflector is very close to the puck element as is, & also the water bowl needs some room.
  But maybe you can add some kind of bracket in there to support the 2nd element. The 900 watt element of mine was mounted no further to front & worked fine until the 1 element burned out reducing it to about 450 watts.
Alan

Orion

Thanks Alan.

I am going to look closely at a change to the  extinguishing bowl and two stainless brackets to mount the  2nd element at the door. The brackets could easily be attached using stainless pop rivets so as not to disturb the cabinet structure. The bowl size and shape could also be altered to fit the new element placement. I think that this placement would improve heat dispersion evenly.

TedEbear

I've been running the dual 500W element mod for several years.  I have them fairly close to each other and no problems. I did install a PID controller around the same time.  Preheat time now takes less than 10 minutes to get up to 200+ degrees.   :)

Here are a couple of "how-to" guides.  I didn't add a switch for mine and for the wiring I just ran a short 3-4" loop of high temp wire from the original element to the second element on each end.

Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

Alanfromwis

TedEbear & Orion,  That is the same way I did mine. Think it may help even heat, but may interfer if you sues a Amazesn smoker.
Alan

TedEbear

Quote from: Alanfromwis on December 28, 2014, 03:05:09 PM
TedEbear & Orion,  That is the same way I did mine. Think it may help even heat, but may interfer if you sues a Amazesn smoker.
Alan

Hmm...I use a 12" A-MAZE-N pellet tube with mine all the time and no problems.

Edit:  I think I see what you're saying now.  Yes, if the second element was mounted closer to the door it would almost certainly interfere with a pellet tube smoker.

GusRobin

Quote from: Orion on December 28, 2014, 09:43:25 AM
Thanks Alan.

I am going to look closely at a change to the  extinguishing bowl and two stainless brackets to mount the  2nd element at the door. The brackets could easily be attached using stainless pop rivets so as not to disturb the cabinet structure. The bowl size and shape could also be altered to fit the new element placement. I think that this placement would improve heat dispersion evenly.

I would be concerned on grease dripping on the second element if you put it where you are thinking.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Orion

Well, I guess there is no need to re-invent the wheel. If TB and others are happy with the placement there's no need to re-think it.

Appreciate the close up pictures of your element installation and the links TB.

Alanfromwis

Quote from: Alanfromwis on December 28, 2014, 07:04:00 AM
  Don't know if anyone ever has tried both until now, but I now have in my Bradley 4 rack digital. Installed the 900 watt in Aug of 2012 & this month during a smoke the temp did not get above 200F on a cold windy day. During checking found 900 watt element resistance is now 32 ohms. Was  16 ohms when installed, so it appears there must be 2 450 watt elements in parallel, & 1 burnt out. I did order & install a 500 watt from Yard & Pool. Installed the original & new  so I can compare the 2-500 watt to the 1-950 watt setups.
  We'll see what the comparison shows.
  Alan

With the very cold weather & other reasons, I got to smoking some loin back ribs this morning. To compare the 2 setups (2-500 & 1 900 watt) they so far seem quite similar. Outside temp in lower 30's with gusty winds to lower 20mph range. Oven temp has no trouble holding 240F, so it appears both are very good recovering after opening door & also holding in windier conditions than single 500 watt setup. Should add I have a 3 sided shelter made with 1/2" plywood, with side panels hinged.
  Alan