Approximate times for smoking roast beef?

Started by Meatatarian, December 28, 2014, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meatatarian

I am going to smoke a 3lb outside round roast tomorrow and was wondering what others are finding for approximate cooking times per lb when smoking at 225*?  I will use IT to determine my doneness level but need a ballpark idea as to what time I will need to get things started in order to have it done by mid afternoon.

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

renoman

Being that it is not a real tender cut I would lower your temp to 175 and cook it for around 6 hrs then bump to 200 until your desired doneness.

Meatatarian

Thanks guys.  Put it in a 11:00 this morning, will see what happens.  I think I'm going to try pull it. 

TMB

Just my 2 cents, but I would smoke it till 120 to 125 IT then sear it on a very HOT grill just to get a little char on the outside.

2.5 to 3 hrs of smoke then sear
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Meatatarian

Well, ended up pulling it out and just doing a well done pot roast style meal.  I would go lighter on the rub next time for jus doing a pot roast.  I had planned to pull it and mix in the bark in with the pulled beef so I caked it on.  Turned out to be a little strong.  It turned out more tender than I had thought it would, but just ran out of time to make it a pulled meal.

renoman

Meatatarian

It was in for 6.5 hrs at 225* and I took to out at an IT of 170* and foiled it for 1/2 hr.

TNRockyraccoon