QUESTIONS

Started by Jim O, December 30, 2014, 04:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

Has anyone cold smoked veggies to be used to give soup a smokey flavour ?
Also,does the AMA Z N tube generate enough heat to effect cheese when smokin',or do I still have to use my cold smoke adapter
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

ragweed

I've smoked broccoli and cauliflower.  I've used the AMAZN tube for cheese.  No different than the smoke generator.  (Don't have a CSA)  Oh, and give hard boiled eggs a try.  Fantastic!!

TedEbear

Quote from: Jim O on December 30, 2014, 04:53:37 AM
Also,does the AMA Z N tube generate enough heat to effect cheese when smokin',or do I still have to use my cold smoke adapter

I used my 12" A-MAZE-N pellet tube to smoke some cheese two days ago.  The outdoor temp got up to around 40*F and the cooking chamber got up to 72*F. The smoker was also sitting in direct sunlight.  I did put a tray of ice on the bottom rack but I don't know that it was needed. I mainly wanted to get rid of a bag of leftover ice from Thanksgiving.   They say that as long as you keep the chamber temp at 90*F or below for cheese you should be OK.

renoman

Quote from: Jim O on December 30, 2014, 04:53:37 AM
Has anyone cold smoked veggies to be used to give soup a smokey flavour ?

Why don't you smoke the broth?

Jim O

Would the liquid take the smoke ? Again,would it be a cold or hot smoke ?
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

renoman

Quote from: Jim O on December 30, 2014, 08:21:31 AM
Would the liquid take the smoke ? Again,would it be a cold or hot smoke ?

When I smoke my turkeys on my Weber grill I always do them with a pan of water under them. The drippings and the water take on a very nice smoke flavour which I then use for the gravy. Don't see why some chicken or beef stock would not do the same.

manfromplaid

I did a turkey awhile back and the recipe called for smoked butter. into a smaller SS pot and on the top rack for 1 hr or so  picked up a very nice smoke flavor. could be used in a lot of different ways.