Just bought and smoker won't come up to temp

Started by CentFLsmokeDreamin, December 31, 2014, 06:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentFLsmokeDreamin

Outside temp is 70 degrees F, smoker has been on for more than 4 hours producing smoke but digital temp gauge (tested with boiling water) only gets to 162 and no more.  Moved temp gauge up and down, vent is open.  Do I have a defective smoker?

GusRobin

Quote from: CentFLsmokeDreamin on December 31, 2014, 06:56:12 PM
Outside temp is 70 degrees F, smoker has been on for more than 4 hours producing smoke but digital temp gauge (tested with boiling water) only gets to 162 and no more.  Moved temp gauge up and down, vent is open.  Do I have a defective smoker?
Where is your temp probe in relation to the meat?
What are you cooking?
How often have you opened the door?
Is the element getting red?
Have you unplugged and re-seated all the plugs? Sometimes they appear tight but are not.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

CentFLsmokeDreamin

no meat, no opening of door just digital probe inside. When opening door after hours of being on, element was not glowing red. Thanks Ed

GusRobin

Quote from: CentFLsmokeDreamin on December 31, 2014, 07:34:24 PM
no meat, no opening of door just digital probe inside. When opening door after hours of being on, element was not glowing red. Thanks Ed
Then it appears that your element is not working or not working at full power.
Do you have it on an extensions cord?
What else is on the same circuit ( the Bradley does not play well with others)
Make sure the plugs are in tight, unplug and replug, especially into the cabinet. They may appear tight but they fool you.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

CentFLsmokeDreamin

Thank you for your advice.  I unplugged the element cord and plugged it back into the unit and the element started glowing red and temp is going up.  Thank you for your help.

Ed

Rhobo55

Thank you so much.  Very new to this...first time other than using the cold smoker once.   I had the same problem and after seeing this went out and pushed in the cords with a little wiggle and now my temp is going up nicely.  Helped a bunch!!!