Circuit board, no heat fix

Started by Jrm7997, January 03, 2015, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrm7997

I just fixed my smoker.  I had no heat so followed the instruction in other posts.  I replaced the heating element with No results.  Then I found a post about a crack in the bottom panel which mine had. 

I had already pulled the panel and the parts looked fine but I had no way of testing the actual board.  When I took a closer look I found that corrosion had eaten a trace off.  After a little solder and wire it's working fine.  Attached are before and after pictures.

This is my first post.  Hope it helps someone,  :)

Trying to attach the pictures.  Am I doing something wrong?   And what's with all this security?  It's too much for this kind of site.  It's not like I'm doing my banking.

This is the third time I've tried to send and the answer to the questions have been wrong.  If it doesn't get easier why would I want to keep going through this?

Jrm7997

I'm done.  No way to post the pictures.  Send me a pm if you want to see them.

Habanero Smoker

If you are posting from a computer you most first upload your pictures to one of many photo hosting sites. Many of us use Photobucket, which is free and has some restrictions for their free service. Below is a pictorial that can guide you through setting up an account on Photobucket, and posting pictures to a forum.
How To Post Pictures

If you are trying to post directly from a smartphone, you will need to download an app called Tapatalk App.

Here is a link to more troubleshooting tips:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

The cracked faceplate can be caused by the front feet being attached to the plastic faceplate instead of the tower, like the rear feet are.  There is a fix for this so that it does not happen again.  I just replaced the faceplate on mine yesterday.  After several years of use it finally broke in half.  I also did the foot mod and hopefully this fixes the cause of the original problem.

There is a crack in the plastic face plate that houses the temperature slider. Is this anything I should be concerned about?

BTW Habs, there are two links on the recipe site for the front feet mod.  The one in the FAQ section that I posted above has pics.  The one in the User Modifications section that I posted below does not. I'm not sure who to notify about this.

Front Feet Modification

And here's the Reader's Digest version of how to post pics in a message.

1. Upload your pic(s) to a free host site, such as Photobucket.
2. Next to each pic is an IMG box. Left click in that box and the contents will automatically be copied onto your clipboard.
3. Paste those contents into a message on here.
4. It is not necessary but if you want to see if it worked before posting your message you can click on the Preview button.

Hint: If you think you might be using Photobucket for eventually storing lots of pics it is a good idea to create different folders for each theme such as Food, Hobbies, Cars, etc.  Just make sure you upload them to the appropriate folder. Keeping your Photobucket pics organized makes them much easier to find later on. 

Jrm7997

If one of you want to send me a message from an email address I can send pictures to ill do that.  I read the posting instruction.  I'm a part of a lot of similare sites but this one is just too much. 

I've had one request for photos of the soldering on the cct board.  I

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on January 04, 2015, 06:46:10 AM
BTW Habs, there are two links on the recipe site for the front feet mod.  The one in the FAQ section that I posted above has pics.  The one in the User Modifications section that I posted below does not. I'm not sure who to notify about this.

Front Feet Modification

Thanks for alerting me. That probably occurred when I had moved some files around. I'll get that fixed asap.

Quote from: Jrm7997 on January 04, 2015, 10:28:30 AM
If one of you want to send me a message from an email address I can send pictures to ill do that.  I read the posting instruction.  I'm a part of a lot of similare sites but this one is just too much. 

You don't have an email link on this forum for me to send a message. You can send the photos to me. Just click on the email icon under my avatar. I'll either host them on the recipe site, or on my account on Photobucket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Jrm7997

There is a link to my email as bob has already pmed me.  Once he did that I sent him my email address outside of this web site. I don't want to publish my address to everyone :) I have already sent him the pictures

Habanero Smoker

PM's and emails are different types of communications. I received your PM, and will send you an email. But again you could have emailed me directly by clicking on the email icon that is located under my avatar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Jrm7997

Thanks to Habanero for hosting these photos and uploading them to his site.

The photo below shows what the Circuit Board looked like after I had cleaned it with a light degreaser and than scraped off the loose/broken trace.  You can see how the grease had eaten away the green protective coating and the copper trace.  It wasn't important that i scrape off the trace I did it just to show the damage.

The next photo shows how I used a piece of wire to jump over the damaged trace.  Wire size doese matter in that it must be big enough to carry the current.  I think this is number 22 or 24 gage wire.  Its what i had and I think it will be fine.  If you are going to do this make sure to use proper rosin core solder not plumbers solder.

A point I wanted to make was the potentiometer (100k ohm sliding resistor)  Mine works but its in rough shape.  In the future I will probable desolder (using a solder sucker or copper tape used for this). and put in a rotating potentiometer.  I have plans for a controlling the temp with a ST1000 (???) so this isn't my biggest concern but an easy fix if yours isn't working properly.  The resistance value is on the cct board and can be seen in the photos.