Well did my first pork butt

Started by smokingdude, August 03, 2006, 04:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokingdude

Well this was my second thing to smoke (after I did 4 whole chickens that turned out GREAT).

First let me say that if not for this & Olds forums I don't think the pork would have turned out so great. Dry rubbed the pork and wrapped in saran wrap and placed in the refreg for 2 days.

Pulled from the ref reg and let stand at room temp for 2 hours. Preheated the smoker (4 rack version), placed the meat in the smoker. One at the lower rack and one in the third from the bottom. placed the temp prob in the top butt. started the 4 hours of oak smoke and 1 hour of apple smoke.

Set smoker to 200 deg held smoker at 195 deg for 10 hours, resisted to open the smoker (this was hard).

Opened the smoker and rotated the racks and re inserted the temp prob in the top butt. Continued to cook at 200 deg for another 10 hours.

The temp got up to 170 deg. 2 more hours (total 22 hours) and the butts where at 180 deg. Opened the smoker and removed the butts (could not resist pulling off a sample) to some foil wrap and then wrapped in a bath towel and let sit for 2 hours.

Unwrapped the butts placed on some rubber gloves and commenced to pull and shredded the butts. Almost all the fat had dissolved and the meat looked great. This was the best pork that I have ever cooked, the only thing that the outside did get a little black, but still good enough to eat it . I think I will try the old t-shirt method next time.

Once aging I what to thank this forum and Olds for my great success

Chuck

projump

Wow, sounds like you kicked butt on the butts, lol. I'm going to try one or two here in the near future. projump
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: smokingdude on August 03, 2006, 04:05:18 AM
2 more hours (total 22 hours) and the butts where at 1802 deg.

So how does molten lava taste? ;) ;D ;D ;D

Quotethe only thing that the outside did get a little black, but still eat it

Dude, that's the GOOD stuff! Make sure you shred it well & get it mixed into all that unflavored meat on the inside.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

West Coast Kansan

Someone has a tag line - "when its black its done" I like to shave off the bark / black and chop it up as fine as my wrist allows. When you are finished with the pull you can mix it into the meat nice and even. Take  Care.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Oldman

QuoteFirst let me say that if not for this & Olds forums I don't think the pork would have turned out so great.......Once aging I what to thank this forum and Olds for my great success
Hold the phone... I keep saying this but some how folks miss it. (I understand about new members not knowing.)

The recipe site is not my site. It is our site. Next the recipes on that site came from the members here. If you followed a recipe on that site the author of that recipe is listed at top.  Please give that person the credit. My only role in this is supplying the host and doing the coding that was needed. Granted some of the coding was a pain in the shorts, but that is why I get the BIG BUCKS~~!  ;D ;D ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Gee Raye,

When was it you cashed that last check from Bradley? ;D ;D ;D

Mmmmm..........., if I recall correctly, it would be never. It's hard to cash something you never received, nor wanted.

Those of us who have spent time here truly appreciate your efforts & have found a wealth of information in them. I can understand newbies not realizing the status of the situation, but would also like to chime in on the background that goes with it.

From me, and I'll speak for a lot of others here, a big

THANK YOU!

Kirk

(Can I stop now? My jaw is sore.) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D J/K
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

asa

Quote from: Chez Bubba on August 04, 2006, 08:29:48 PM
Those of us who have spent time here truly appreciate your efforts & have found a wealth of information in them. I can understand newbies not realizing the status of the situation, but would also like to chime in on the background that goes with it.
From me, and I'll speak for a lot of others here, a big
THANK YOU!

I second the motion!!!

QuoteGranted some of the coding was a pain in the shorts, but that is why I get the BIG BUCKS~~! 

Hey Olds, don't let your your shorts get tied up in knots! We realize that you host the site for the forum folks, and we reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate it. So take a well-deserved bow. Everybody thinks of it as "Olds-Recipe-Site-That-He-Hosts-For-The-Bradley-Smoker-Forum." So be it. Thanks for all the time and effort you've had to put into hosting it. We appreciate that - that's why people refer to it as "Old's site."

Many thanks and best regards,

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

West Coast Kansan

Olds, there is a lot that us newbies don't know - even those who have smoked some before getting a Bradley. YOU can however feel pretty good about the contribution you make to this community AND the contribution to numerous positive experiences with the Bradley product. As I said once before you always seem to have it together and when a thread turns to a knot often I read comments from you that seems to be the one that straightens it out.

You can feel good about that directly.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Olds,

I have to agree with Kirk on the big thank you. You've put in a lot of long, hard hours. Time you could have spent doing something for yourself.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokingdude

opps It was 180 deg

Quote from: Chez Bubba on August 03, 2006, 06:00:04 PM
Quote from: smokingdude on August 03, 2006, 04:05:18 AM
2 more hours (total 22 hours) and the butts where at 1802 deg.

So how does molten lava taste? ;) ;D ;D ;D

Quotethe only thing that the outside did get a little black, but still eat it

Dude, that's the GOOD stuff! Make sure you shred it well & get it mixed into all that unflavored meat on the inside.

Kirk

gpsmoker

Definately must agree with the others and say Thank You Olds!  Your continued support and patience with us new folks really shows through. It is greatly appreciated! Yourself and the other folks here on the forum display an immense sense of community and that is a rare thing these days. Again, thank you sir.

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

iceman

Goes without saying for me too. Mucho apreciado Old's.