Sausage Maker In Training

Started by ragweed, January 06, 2015, 07:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

My Daughter phoned me last week saying her oldest needed "some time away from his siblings".  Could he spend the weekend?  Of course, I said, "Yes".  I took him to our Junior Hockey League game Friday night then woke him earlier than he wanted to go help a friend get a late season deer.  Where he learned the meaning of "cold".
That night, his Grandma took him to the hockey game while I started prepping for some sausage making Sunday morning.  I had everything ready for a batch of chicken, tomato, basil sausage, then woke him up.

He enjoyed mixing everything together

And, he did a pretty good job stuffing them

Ended up with 2 dozen sausages of "various" sizes

A little quality control on the scrap left in the stuffer, of course.

He's hooked, and a self proclaimed expert now!  I got some good bonding time and best of all, NO video games were played during his stay!!

slowpoke

That's super,Ragweed My 10yr. old Grandson is interested in cooking also.I love it and he does too.Teach them young and they're hooked for life.lol All the Best.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

pikeman_95

Joe
This is a great post. I love seeing the kids getting involved and getting their noses out of their phones. I would make what ever he wanted just to keep his interest. Good looking sausage also.
Kirby

cajunboudreaux

Looks like he did a super fine job.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

beefmann

Captain_BS

How do you like the 5lb lem stuffer? I was using my new lem grinder to stuff susaage last week and it was teerible. It went so slow that it took almost two hours to stuff 5lb of sausage. Before i purchase the sausge stuffer it would be nice to know it stiffs fast!

ragweed

Quote from: Captain_BS on January 18, 2015, 06:50:15 AM
How do you like the 5lb lem stuffer? I was using my new lem grinder to stuff susaage last week and it was teerible. It went so slow that it took almost two hours to stuff 5lb of sausage. Before i purchase the sausge stuffer it would be nice to know it stiffs fast!

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I like it fine.  It will stuff as fast as you can turn the handle, but I tend to go slowly to make sure the sausages are tight with no air bubbles.  Definitely no complaints, worth the 150 I spent, I think.  Like the metal gears too. 

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Captain_BS on January 18, 2015, 06:50:15 AM

Capt, grinders just do not make good stuffers. I did for many years what you did last week, and it was always the major drawback for making sausage. So tedious! If I were starting over again, a stuffer would be purchased at the same time I bought a grinder. :D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

I also use a 5# stuffer and like it fine, works great. Only thing I would do differently would be to get a 10# model but would still be a LEM. Like Joe said, I like the metal gears which some don't use. Also there is very little meat left in the stuffer when it bottoms out which is apparently a problem with some units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

ragweed

TF is right, very little left.  Yesterday, I weighed what was left.... 4 oz., just enough for a taste!!

tailfeathers

Yup, one little patty for a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!