First time Smoker - Step by Step as a Beginner

Started by spangler2k3, January 06, 2015, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spangler2k3

I've introduced myself in the introduction section so my apologies if some of you have seen this already. Here is what im working with so far.

Decided against building an enclosure for my OBS and went with the utility cabinet route. Used a side vent designed for a mobile home

Bought myself a iGrill2 where I can monitor the temps inside the house, and while not opening the door or cabinet.. keeping the heat in, especially in 13 degree weather as it currently sits

Here it is starting to heat up.

Preheated to 220 then started the briquette advance.. waited 20 minutes then entered the 2 full racks of ribs

I don't have a picture of the ribs ( I know I know..) but I used a pre packaged rub overnight from Lamberts Sweet Rub O' Mine. I'm partaking in the 3-2-1 method..

Going to smoke at 220 for 3 hours, wrap in foil with apple juice for 2, then back in with sweet baby rays for the last hour.

I'll post pictures tonight after its all completed..

when I put the ribs in, I left 1 probe hang in the middle, and 1 probe is inserted into the ribs. so I get a 2nd opinion on cabinet temp, and a reading on the food

Great forum. Thanks so far for all the help

Jim O

Welcome. Sounds like you've got the hang of it! Don't forget pix.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

spangler2k3

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

My wife is home babysitting it right now while im finishing up at work..
she said its hovering around 210 with an internal meat temp of 150. So by the time I get home it will be time to pull then, then wrap in foil with some apple juice before putting them back in for 2 hours at the same temp

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks

tskeeter

Nice looking smoker cabinet.

I do have a suggestion for you, though.  If you want to smoke with your cabinet doors closed, add more vents to allow air to get inside the cabinet.  A lot more vents.

I have my smoker in a 3 foot by 7 foot plastic shed.  I'm finding that I'm having a problem getting enough makeup air into the shed if the door is closed.  I can see a dramatic difference between the amount of smoke coming out the smoker vent pipe when the shed door is open vs. when the door is closed.  I suspect the lack of makeup air for an adequate draft caused smoke to back up into my smoke generator and caused the microswitch that controls the puck feeder to start to stick.  (Lack of adequate air flow through the smoker has a similar effect to smoking with your vent closed.  The food looks sooty and has a slightly sooty flavor.)

So far, I've added three 4 by 10 inch vents (actual air flow space is about 35 square inches due to the way I cut the holes) and two 6 by 10 inch vents (about 45 square inches of air flow space) and it doesn't look like I'm getting enough air into the shed yet.  (That shed is way more air tight than I ever imagined it would be.)  I'm going to re-cut the holes behind the 6 by 10 inch vents to double the air flow space and see if that will allow enough air to get into the shed.  (I'm using vent covers with insect screen on them.  I understand the  insect screen reduces the amount of air flow by about 50%.) 

spangler2k3

thank you for the reply tskeeter I will punch some more holes or crack the cabinet door next time

Here is a picture of the ribs pulled from the foil and basted with sweet baby rays.. They should be done in about 20 minutes

spangler2k3

I must say I am super impressed with this brand of thermometer.. I can do about my business inside the house while monitoring it beautifully..
If it goes over 145 it sends me a message and then I can go turn it down. Love technology

spangler2k3

And I forgot to post a picture!

They were very good, had nice smoke flavor, fell off the bone, but held together when picking them up...

I went 3 hours of hickory smoked at 220
2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice at 220
then 1 hour with sweet baby rays at 220

what would you all suggest I do to make them even more tender? almost to the point of not being able to pick them up tender

Thanks

TedEbear

Now THAT looks like a winner. Pulled back from the bone tip nicely.  Personally, I wouldn't change a thing.  However, you could play with the numbers a bit.  Instead of 3-2-1 you could try 2-3-1.  More time steaming in the foil with the apple juice and less in the open.

If you're near the St. Louis area call me when you do your next batch and I'll be glad to drop by for an evaluation.   ;D

Edit:  I just saw that you're in Central PA.  Heck, that pic looks like it would almost be worth the trip.

spangler2k3

Thanks, going to try another batch this weekend while im home..

making my own cold smoke box out of an old kitchen display cabinet.. going to try some cheese tonight..

let the cheese sit in room temp for an hour opened to wipe the oils off
smoke in apple for 2 hours nothing over 90 degrees... seal in a vacuum sealer and try like heck not to open for 4 weeks

sound about right?

Orion

It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

ragweed

Nice lookin' ribs!  As to the cheese, yup, sounds good.  I do 2 hrs of apple targeting 80 - 85* F.  Let sit at rm temp for 1 - 2 hrs, wipe off the oil if any, then vac seal.  Then wait 4 - 6 wks.  That's the hard part.  Good luck!!

dave01

TEDTobaccoFL

Thank you for your wonderful post. Its interesting and I'm sure that you caught the attention of the viewers and the picture looks great.

beefmann

good looking set up and ribs,,, great job  done on both