Bacon and brown sugar?

Started by Meatatarian, January 09, 2015, 01:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexster

Quote from: Meatatarian on January 09, 2015, 11:22:16 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.  Here is what I tried on a whim.  Uncooked bacon coated in brown sugar, nothing else.  Just enough to put a moderate coating on but not caked.  I let is sit for about an hour just so the brown sugar soaked up the moisture from the bacon and made kind of a glaze.  Next into the smoker at 225* with 1 hr of apple smoke.  I found it must be watched continually or it will over heat, turn blackish and be brittle like glass. Likely a scientific cooking term for what happened, I'm not sure.  Depending on the size of bacon slice, it will finish at different times, kind of like jerky.  Rotating of racks is a must.  I ended up taking it out earlier than my bacon cooking instincts told me to and it turned out perfect, it cools and firms up quite a bit on a plate.  Our guests loved it, definitely not a main coarse but extremely addicting to sit and nibble on while visiting.  Smoker mats are a mandatory, it is very sticky!  And the smoker, I won't even get into the mess on the tray....

Think you could have gotten those slices any thinner?
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Meatatarian

Here is the finished product, turned out awesome.  I had a frying pan out while slicing and threw all the "ugly" pieces in that didn't meet my standards for packaging.  Lost quite a few slices that way!

RedJada

Now that's Bacon. Nice job.

dave01