Jerky Cure

Started by Bavind, January 09, 2015, 09:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavind

I am looking for a good jerky cure recipe. I was going to buy the cure from Hi Mountain but the shipping to Canada was $60.

Orion

Pretty sure Canadian Tire and lots of outdoor stores carry it. Why cure and not a brine? Just curious.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

renoman

Quote from: Bavind on January 09, 2015, 09:24:09 PM
I am looking for a good jerky cure recipe. I was going to buy the cure from Hi Mountain but the shipping to Canada was $60.

I use Hi Mountain's "Pepper Blend" and it is excellent. You can get it at CT, Cabella's and most BBQ stores. I believe it is 20 bucks for 25# of meat.

Bavind

Quote from: Orion on January 10, 2015, 05:15:37 AM
Pretty sure Canadian Tire and lots of outdoor stores carry it. Why cure and not a brine? Just curious.

I am looking for just the cure and want to season myself and can find no one who carries it in Canada. I even called Hi Mountain to see what distributors they had here tried them all and no one is willing to order just the cure for me, or the price is ridiculous.

KyNola

If you have an access to cure #1, also known as pink salt, you can make your own jerky recipe.  There are lots of them on this forum.

BoxcarBetts

Have you tried Princess Auto?  They carry Hi-Mountain stuff.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

manfromplaid

if you can find a hi-mountain kit anywhere the cure and the spice blend are packaged in different pouches. 1 box should be good for 15 lbs

RAF128

I've never seen just cure in cabelas or in any other sport shop. However, butcher supply store have it.  We have a few here that have it. There's also a place in Regina that sells on line and they have it. Sorry their name escapes me right now. Also Halfords in Edmonton will have it

Dano

TSC here carries more of that stuff than CT in my area - S.Ontario. They also carry a lot of LEM seasonings and cure 1 is always in stock there. I also remember seeing the snack stick kits as well as a few others. 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

KyNola

Gander Mountain carries a line of LEM products including Cure #1 as well as entire kits.

BoxcarBetts

Dano, where in S. Ont?  I grew up in Cambridge and was just there for Christmas.  Had I known, I'd have hit the TSC for the snack stick kits.  Maybe I'll get someone to pick one up and send it out to me.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

Dano

Hah small world! I'm in Kitchener and work in Waterloo! I found a whole bunch of LEM stuff, including cure #1, at the TSC going out on King St north Waterloo towards St. Jacobs. I was in there a few weeks ago and saw a few packets - I was surprised to find it too.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)