Cheese mold and clean hands?

Started by uplandpointer, January 17, 2015, 11:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplandpointer

I started searching for info on storing smoked cheese (vac sealed for how long) and ended up looking at mold issues and handling.

First off how long do you store vac sealed cheese?

Second can you still eat moldy cheese  (not Blue)?

And lastly do you guys wear Gloves when handling the cheese before and after smoking? I have never worn gloves as my father was a chef and baker and never wore gloves in his life.We always have just made sure to keep hands clean.

Jim O

Welcome. I never wear gloves when handling cheese and have found vac sealed cheese in the back of the fridge that was about 7 months old,and still had a great taste. As for mould,we used to cut the mould off and eat the cheese with no known(to us) side effects. I feel if the mould in the blue cheese is OK,then why not in other cheese?

I always wash my hands frequently when handling any food,in particulay,raw meats. I also wash my counter top or cutting board and knife(s).
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

GusRobin

I have had cheese with a good vac seal last over a year.
Like Jim, I hardly wear gloves. Usually only when I am dealing with hot peppers. But I make sure my hands are clean and usually wash them a number of times, usually when I get done with handling meat portions of the cook. I clean counters, boards, utensils, etc during the cook also.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

I  have had cheese in vac bags for a year with no problem. Never worn gloves. If there is mold on cheese I would cut it off and eat the rest of the cheese,after all isn't that what cheese is mold?

pensrock

I've had smoked cheese in the fridge for well over a year with no signs of mold. It was great, no problems at all. This was not vac packed, just wrapped with Glad Press-N-Seal and put into a zip bag. Works for me. This cheese was not cut after smoking. If I were to cut it after smoking and planned to store it, then I would vac seal it first.

Gafala

I have vac sealed cheese in the fridge right now that is over a year old and no problems so far.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Orion

All commercial food storing, preparation,  and serving procedures are strictly regulated for the protection of the publics health, both here in Canada and the USA. There are courses available regarding Foodsafe procedures and in Canada they are required before you can work in the commercial industry. The more of the principles that they teach that you apply to your personal food preparation and storage techniques the better off you are. One of the most basic rules is gloves.

The world has changed since the days of grandfathers and grandmothers. Knowledge has increased and methods have changed. Disease and sickness is more widespread and rapidly moves through our society due to close quarters, jet travel and crowded cities. Food born illness can be far more serious than most imagine.

I would not want to share anything I have prepared to family and friends unless I have taken all the precautions ,(within reason) available to me. That includes gloves when handling certain foods that cannot be washed prior to serving. Haven't poisoned anyone yet and don't plan to. JMO.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

MrSlick

I have had vac sealed smoked cheese in the fridge for 11 months and it was still good.  I have also found an open package in the fridge (fell behind stuff) that was probably open a month or longer.  It did not have any mold at all.  By comparison regular non-smoked cheese left open in my fridge will show the first signs of mold in a few weeks.  It has seemed to me the smoking does something to protect the smoked cheese from molding. 

You should note that I am not a cheese, mold or smoking scientist.