sausage stuffer or grinder as stuffer

Started by toolhawk, January 23, 2015, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolhawk

You guys have been great , I have an American Eagle 1hp. Grinder and a dedicated vertical sausage stuffer , the grinder grinds AWESOME but stuffing smaller diameter casings is a work out as I have to push it through,  the stuffer stuffs great , what do you use ? am I using the grinder incorrectly ? Just thought I would get your thoughts.  Thanks again!!

tailfeathers

I've never tried using my grinder to stuff my sausages. Mostly because of the advice of the good folks on this forum. I have a 5# LEM that I use for all my stuffing and couldn't be happier with the way it works. Only thing I'd do different? Get a 10 pounder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

dave01

I use the Dakotah water stuffer, it works great also

MoHuka

I have the Watson 11-lb vertical stuffer and I found that when stuffing smaller casings like 16-17mm I use a little extra liquids in the mixture....makes it a lot easier. 
MoSmoker

just a smokin

Hey there i used to go and have a stuffer that was attatched to my grinder and at first i really liked it , however i started to go and notice all the air i would get in there and not really being able to control my speed of stuffing, however my self and freinds used that for a long time then i got a new one, both grinder (as it finally wore out) and stuffer.Now the new one is a 25 LB horizontal type and hey wow i love that no problem with air at all and i can control my speed of stuffing quite easily.Actually on my stuffer i have two speeds where the hand crank is , a low crank speed and a high crank speed, but hey it works great and has done alot of sausages now.

watchdog56

I used to use my grinder as a stuffer and it was to slow. I bought a 5# stuffer from Lem and love it. If you buy  a stuffer make sure you get one with metal gears. There has been a few instances that the plastic gears get stripped out from to much cranking force

dave97402

I first tried to use my grinder/stuffer on my first batch......nope, not doing that again. It works but it is really not built for that.

I bought a stuffer for the next batch...wow best purchase ever!

cobra6223

I trashed my first grinder trying to use it to stuff with. Well the as you might have guessed it now was the cost of a new stuffer and a new grinder, hard lesson to learn. I got a Weston 11# vertical and love it and with my experience Weston's customer service they treated me right. If your serious about this and have the budget talk to Kirby on here he sells a water stuffer that the guys who have bought them rave about, check it out. Good luck.

renoman

I use a 5# Lem knock off from Princess Auto "with plastic gears" and it has worked wonderfully for me even stuffing lots of 18mil snack sticks. The only thing I would do differently is buy at least a 7# stuffer because 95% of my batches are 10 or 12.5 pounds and that means a third filling of the stuffer which can be a pain if you have the casings on the horn.