UMAI bags are magic

Started by Grouperman941, January 25, 2015, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I made some sopressata for Christmas that was pretty good, but the texture was not perfect due to my little old plastic grinder.

With my new horse of a grinder, I did up a 5 pound batch that is looking good after just over 1 week. Should be done by the end of February:

I also experimented with coppa. I made 2 kinds (hot and not hot) with the same butts I had used for that original sopressata. They were finally done today:

I can't believe that this works in the regular fridge sitting on a rack. They are delicious.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

iceman

I've got to break down and take the time to do this! I've had the UMAI bags sitting around way to long.
Dang that looks good!  :)

Smoker John

That looks really good, I'm hoping to try this someday.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tailfeathers

Bit the bullet and ordered some bags from them last night after seeing this post. Can't wait to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Got a few pieces of meat that I'm gonna put in for the two week curing period tonight (coppa for capicola, loin for lonzino and eye round for bresaola). My question is for any of you who have the VP112 chamber vac and have used it with the UMAi dry cure bags. Are there any particular vacuum/seal times that work the best for these bags?

tailfeathers

Out of the cure, rinsed and sealed in the Umai dry bags. Into the fridge for dry down. Weighed each piece and calculated the finish weight after 35% loss. Updates to follow. Lomo, capicola, and bresaola.

Grouperman941

Looking good. I have a lomo and lonzino curing now -- they go into the bags next week. The sausages above are almost ready. I love this stuff.

tailfeathers

Depending on how these turn out I may have to order some of the salumi casing.

tailfeathers

All have reached target weights (35-40% loss). Will be slicing them in a little bit, pics to follow!

Grouperman941

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 04, 2015, 12:43:57 PM
All have reached target weights (35-40% loss). Will be slicing them in a little bit, pics to follow!

Cool. I am slicing mine today, too.

Grouperman941

My Lomo and Lonzino sliced up:

Lomo is red on the edges from Paprika. These are very good.

tailfeathers

Sliced up the lomo, capicola and bresaola. Wow this stuff is good! Brought a charcuterie platter to Easter brunch at my sister's house and it didn't last long!Heres a couple shots of the finished product.

Smoker John

This stuff looks great, I pulled the pin & bought a kit, just need some butts now  :D
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Grouperman941

A bunch of the sopressata I started at the beginning of December was ready today. Smaller casing than last time (32mm?). Fermented for three days. Delicious. My best yet by far.

chola

what starter culture are you using....or even possibly a recipe please