Another round of briskets, another round of success

Started by Dano, January 26, 2015, 08:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Did 2 packer briskets over the weekend for 24 hours and modified the usual routine - had an unexpected temperature drop overnight but they turned out great!

Since it was so cold here in S.Ontario when I woke up at 4am to change the water pan I noticed the smoker cabin temp wouldn't break 165F - unfortunately it had been this way for some time so I made the decision to leave them till morning when the temps come up and 'crutch' them once they hit about 180F internal temp.  Now I'm not one for using this method as I've had great success just leaving them in for 24 hours but I'm glad I did because the temp stall added extra hours which I recon' would dry out the meat.  Both briskets were fork tender and the last one I pulled was more like pulled beef - could hardly cut it without it falling a part. 

Here's a list of tips that I use in case others experience a temp stall due to wind/cold weather like I did and were too tired/cold (or had the flu like I did) to do something about it at that point

1)When replacing the water, use boiling kettle water in the foil pan - it helps with steam and hydration(but can also cause a bit of black rain so wipe the tops off before basting)

2)Baste each time you replace water or every 4 hours when rotating racks front to back/180 degrees in the case of when the SG is not on - I use apple juice - spray the entire brisket top and bottom

3)If your smoker temp doesn't regulate like mine did - crutch them - I waited until after the 160F stall and poured 3/4 cup apple juice in the foil and baked them in the kitchen oven at 220F until the IT was 200F - yes that's 200F! -  this took several hours but I'm convinced was the key contributor to saving these briskets.  I pulled my previous round at 195F and I think the extra 5F climb is worth it.

Other changes:  I also changed up the dry rub - only used salt/pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a light sprinkle of bone dust.  Instead of a mustard lather I  mixed apple juice and a bit of sweet baby rays.  For smoke I used first hour mesquite, second hour whiskey oak, 3rd-4th hour apple.  Finished product was a lighter smoke taste than I'm used to but I preferred it to my previous ones.

Here's the link to the album:   http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/The_Butcher/library/Briskets   

Cheers,
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Smoker John

I usually do the mustard lather also but I may change it up & try your version, briskets look really good.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Dano

Thanks!  Actually I found no taste difference between the mustard and bbq sauce lather because I baste frequently.  I'd imagine if you don't baste then the lather type would have an impact.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

dave01

wow, it sure looks good. I haven't tried a brisket yet but I'm getting closer

just a smokin

hey wow now that looks real good , good eats for sure. i never thought of doing what you are doing , i mean by packaging some up and putting in freezer for later . i just usually keep on eating till its all gone with different meals.

good job  :)