Canadian Bacon

Started by bologna man, July 16, 2004, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

Good Morning Rod,

Hummm, the fluid is quite normal.  It almost starts right away after you put on the cure mixture.  Now the green hue, thats something different.  My meat color starts turning a very slight brownish tint.  Not being there, the next thing I would use is my nose, when you do bacon it should never have an offensive smell, even after 28 days.  If you have a ny questions, I wouldn't try it.  It sounds like you doing everything correct.  I have 9lbs in the fridge right now in plastic covered containers.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

bologna man

Is it possible that the air space above the meat had somthing to do with the color. The top of the meat was not covered with liquid and was dry when I went to turn it. Maybe I will start over (I hate to) and make sure that there is no air space or even better put in a zip lock bag then in the container.
Rod

Rod

jaeger

bologna man,
  You could still smoke it and cook it to a temp of 165 degrees. Let it cool and use it as a cottage type bacon as opposed to a pulled type product. You will have to make sure it is not spoiled. This way it won't take as long to cook and it will make a Great Bacon! There is a chance that the fat reacted to the combination of air and cure. If it smells spoiled at all, ditch it.[:)][:)][:)]

MallardWacker

bologna man,

Are you using a brine or dry rub/cure?  The air space does not make a difference.  I place mine in a plastic container after I rub it down, the fluid does build up in the bottom but never enough to cover all the meat. I have never tried putting mine in a plastic bag.  I am sure you have read my sugestions about using a Zip Lock brand semi/reusable plastic containers, these seem to work the best for me.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

bologna man

Iused the Hi Mountain Buck Board Bacon cure to do the curing I followed the directions as to how much cure to use as per pound. The liquid at first was enough to come about 1/2 way up the sides but near tghe end this liquid seemed to be absorbed back into the meat. As for the smell, the meat does not have the fresh meat smell, but the smell it has now is not a rotten type smell. This green hue is only on the surface and not the whole way thru the meat.
Rod

Rod

bologna man

Well in spite of the slight greenish tint on the top of the air exposed meat [V] I decided to smoke anyway since the meat had no offensive smell. Did as the instructions said rinse, soak for 2 hours and rinse 2 more times. I then wrapped the 2 boneless butts in elastic net that the butcher gave me. Then sent the butts for a relaxing stay in the smoker, 4 1/2 hours later the desired 152-degree mark was reached. [:p] Then the hardest part the 1 hour rest time without the smoker going, what a temptation to look. [}:)] I finally opened the smoker and what a great looking couple of pieces of meat, nice and golden colored just like ham. [:)] Now the only question I have to you other fellows on the forum is? [?] When I pulled the probe from the meat I actually had a stream of juice spurt from the hole, [:0] is this typical or did I not dry the meat enough when I put it in the netting. Even when I brought it in the house on a platter there was about a cup of the juice on the bottom. I then wrapped in aluminum foil an put it in the ref for 2 hours sliced some and tasted, taste was great and the key point I didn't die [xx(] so I guess the meat was OK. The only other question is the finished product to taste more like ham than the conventional store bought bacon? [;)]
Rod

Rod

jaeger

bologna man,
Sounds like you turned out a great product. The cut of meat you used,pork butt, is more like a ham than store bought bacon which would be a bellie. It is larger, has less fat and should have more juice like any good, superbly cooked roast. Sounds like you will be enjoying something better than <u>any </u>store bought bacon AND you made it yourself. Good Job!!!
                  [:)][:D][:)]

bologna man

Well I cut and ate the first of the 2 Buckboard Bacon that I made and Mallardwacker was right it is great, everyone that had it said the same thing. I served it in BLT sandwiches.The only thing that was wrong is that I didn't have enough of the fat cut out of the sholder before curing, but that is a learning experiance for next time which will come shortly seeing that I cut the second one up today. The next time I am going to try a boneless loin this should be more like the Canadian Bacon.
Rod

Rod

MallardWacker

bologna man,

Great to hear, I think you will like the loin.  Good sandwich size.  I know I tell everyone this but next batch cut some about 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick for steaks, then throw them on your lonesome grill.  This weekend if all plans are correct, <font color="green">Project Jalepeno</font id="green"> is going to come out of the fridge and into the smoker.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bologna man</i>
<br />Well in spite of the slight greenish tint on the top of the air exposed meat ...since the meat had no offensive smell...I then wrapped the...butts in elastic...When I pulled the probe from the meat I actually had a stream of juice spurt from the hole
<b>Rod</b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry, just couldn't resist![:D][:D][}:)][:)][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Swadly

How long will the CB stay good in the Refrig?

MallardWacker

swadly,

I'm not trying to be funny here but I smoked 9lbs last weekend and I bet I have about 3 or 4 left and more will be gone in the kids lunch tomarrow.  If you don't eat it as much as us, I have put it in the freezer with no probblem.  To tell you the truth I have not seen a GOOD discourse on that subject.  Let us know if find out anything.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas